Paschendale

leffe

Nov 23, 2001
Visit site
Am I the only one that is botherd by the fact that there is a line in the lyrics about the german war propaganda machine when pashendale is a WW1 battle and not WW2.

It´s the nazis we connect with extreme propaganda and they were not at power in WW1. I love the music and I also loved the lyrics but this mistake or what you might call it kinda ruins it a bit.

FrostGiant said:
Yeah, uh Germany was in WWI as well.
Of bloody course they were but the nazis and therir propaganda machine were not the ones with power in germany. The huge german war propaganda machine didnt form until the second world war.

If they had just wrote something about the germans I wouldnt mind cause they were defenetly involved in WW1. But the propaganda machine as we know it didnt exist before WW2.

So the Germans had no propoganda in WW1??? I think you're being very naive. Or stupid.
The Germans had propoganda, just like the Allies did with their pictures of (WW1) German soldiers molesting tasty looking young women.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
So the Germans had no propoganda in WW1??? I think you're being very naive. Or stupid.
The Germans had propoganda, just like the Allies did with their pictures of (WW1) German soldiers molesting tasty looking young women.
I´m sure there were propaganda in WW1, there will alwas be as long as politicians exist but it is not what you directly come asociete with WW1 it however is one of the things that comes to ones mind when thinking of WW2. It just wasent to the same extent. The use of propaganda by the germans in WW2 to win support and spark the will for war in the public is the most extreme example the world has ever seen.

I didnt think it fitted the song since ín WW1 neither the allies or the germans used propaganda any more than oneanother. I agree that propaganda was used by the germans in WW1 but the allies used to the same extent wich was not the case in WW2, but if you dont share my opinion thats fair However you dont have to start calling me stupid because you didnt se my point, but hey that might be my fault perhaps I failed to explain my view of it.

TravisW said:
Consider that the whole song is written from the point of view of the soldier, who was undoubtedly more likely to be deluged with the other side's propoganda.
That´s a good point, it makes more sence.

Trevligt att en norrman kunde dyka upp med en bra poäng.

leffe said:
I´m sure there were propaganda in WW1, there will alwas be as long as politicians exist but it is not what you directly come asociete with WW1 it however is one of the things that comes to ones mind when thinking of WW2. It just wasent to the same extent. The use of propaganda by the germans in WW2 to win support and spark the will for war in the public is the most extreme example the world has ever seen.

I didnt think it fitted the song since ín WW1 neither the allies or the germans used propaganda any more than oneanother. I agree that propaganda was used by the germans in WW1 but the allies used to the same extent wich was not the case in WW2, but if you dont share my opinion thats fair However you dont have to start calling me stupid because you didnt se my point, but hey that might be my fault perhaps I failed to explain my view of it.

Okay, sorry for calling you stupid. But really, who cares if they overplayed the propaganda factor in ONE LINE of a song which totally kicks ass? And it does say "such before has never been seen", so although WW2 propaganda was even more powerful, it was still AT THE TIME more than the world had seen.
For years Maiden ahave put out crap with Blaze Bayley singing - just be happy they can still write a song like Paschendale!! :kickass:

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Okay, sorry for calling you stupid. But really, who cares if they overplayed the propaganda factor in ONE LINE of a song which totally kicks ass? And it does say "such before has never been seen", so although WW2 propaganda was even more powerful, it was still AT THE TIME more than the world had seen.
For years Maiden ahave put out crap with Blaze Bayley singing - just be happy they can still write a song like Paschendale!! !:kickass:
Apollogy accepted. I might be overreacting but I like my epic masterpieces lyrically and historically correct. I´m interpteting the lyrcs slightly diffrent now so it´s not such a problem now.