Pat Metheny - The Way Up

v01c354nd51gn5

Awakenings
Dec 18, 2003
DE:-\
since the other jazz thread(s) got a pretty good response, i figured i see what you all think of Pat Metheny's new cd, The Way Up. its made up of 4 tracks, one is 5:17 long, one is 26:27 long, one is 20:29 long and the last is 15:54 long. does this mean Pat's prog? j/k not tryin to start that up here :Smug: . but really, im pretty impressed with this cd. i havent heard much, if anything, from the new harmonica player (c'mon, some guy gets payed to play the harmonica. damnit. :err: ) but the other guys definately pwn it up the entire time. imma recommend this cd to all u jazzers out there.

a few years ago I had a chance to open for Pat in NYC and man he is insane good. I love the new cd it has some rweally complex things going on. And Might i say I (((((hear)))) distorted guitar in there at time where it should be. Prog I think so it has all the formula's minus the distortion, I think Pat should do a cd with someone to make a duo group? maybe Romeo? Can you imagine the licks they could trade off ..clean/distorted?

Jerich said:
a few years ago I had a chance to open for Pat in NYC and man he is insane good. I love the new cd it has some rweally complex things going on. And Might i say I (((((hear)))) distorted guitar in there at time where it should be. Prog I think so it has all the formula's minus the distortion, I think Pat should do a cd with someone to make a duo group? maybe Romeo? Can you imagine the licks they could trade off ..clean/distorted?

come on. metheny is jazz guy. hes making cds with chick corea, lyle mays etc. romeo is doing with kotipelto, lucassen...

I don't have the latest couple Pat Metheny discs, but I enjoy his stuff - Imaginary Day and Secret Story are favorites of mine.

If you guys could recommend some Metheny to a relatively new jazz fan, what would it be? I've heard a few of his songs, and nothing jumped out at me, but everyone seems to think he's God, so I imagine his stuff will click with me sometime.

I really liked Letter from Home and his work with Herbie Hancock and Jack De Johnette. I haven't really listened to him much recently. I listen to jazz for other instruments like piano, trumpet, and percussion. I prefer Wynton Marsalis to PM.

Weenur - If you like Wynton, you should check out Sean Jones. From what I hear, Wynton pretty much told Sean that he kicked his (Wynton's) ass in some jams when they played some shows together.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Weenur - If you like Wynton, you should check out Sean Jones. From what I hear, Wynton pretty much told Sean that he kicked his (Wynton's) ass in some jams when they played some shows together.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check him out. Actually, I think I've heard him, but didn't catch the name, but remember Wynton singing his praises.

Cheers,

John

v01c354nd51gn5 said:
since the other jazz thread(s) got a pretty good response, i figured i see what you all think of Pat Metheny's new cd, The Way Up. its made up of 4 tracks, one is 5:17 long, one is 26:27 long, one is 20:29 long and the last is 15:54 long. does this mean Pat's prog? j/k not tryin to start that up here :Smug: . but really, im pretty impressed with this cd. i havent heard much, if anything, from the new harmonica player (c'mon, some guy gets payed to play the harmonica. damnit. :err: ) but the other guys definately pwn it up the entire time. imma recommend this cd to all u jazzers out there.

Actually it is really just one 62 minute song they just did it split track, but really it just one song. It is his best album in a long time from what I have listened too!

yeah man im likin it more and more every time i listen to it. its one of those cds that u hear something u didnt hear b4 each time u listen to it. Letter from Home & Still Life are both great cds of his. those are the only two i had prior to The Way Up, but i think my dad has most of metheny's cds, so i'll him whats up. im tryin to go see metheny live @ the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA on March 25th, but its $40 for the shitty seats & like $60 for the good ones. That's also the same day that Vivien Lalu's *Oniric Metal* cd comes out and i am planning on having that cd as soon as frkn possible, but damnit Pat's music is so good, i'll try to work sum'm out.

OfSinsAndShred said:
If you guys could recommend some Metheny to a relatively new jazz fan, what would it be? I've heard a few of his songs, and nothing jumped out at me, but everyone seems to think he's God, so I imagine his stuff will click with me sometime.

Imaginary Day. *nod* That's the best place to start. Won a Grammy.

I tend to associate the album with the old Sierra game Caesar III, because I listened to it nonstop for a couple of weeks while playing the game. :)

Pat is insane good . some people are just not into jazz. And they will not like him,But the guy play a stereo guitar rig with ((sine wave)) delay and a guitar pretty simple guitar setup and he always seems to sound amazing the guy can play beyond means...I just jam along with some of his stuff at home by myself and it always tends to be fun. I was just saying Romeo Would be a perfect compliment to his stuff. wishful thinking..after all Shawn Lane did lots of cross over things like that!!!