PAUL BOSTAPH: 'SLAYER Never Compromises'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Francois Biber of The Feedback Society recently conducted an interview with SLAYER drummer Paul Bostaph. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.On rejoining SLAYER:Bostaph: "Being away from the band for as long as I have been made me miss playing this music and being with the guys again… It's like coming home."On the death of SLAYER guitarist Jeff Hanneman:Bostaph: "Jeff was a brother and his personality and his energy are missed, there's no doubt about that. It's different with him not being around, for sure, but Gary [Holt] is doing a great job and it's still SLAYER, the way Jeff wanted it."On whether any of Jeff's musical ideas will make it to SLAYER's next album:Bostaph: "Kerry [King, SLAYER guitarist] and I haven't worked up of any of Jeff's songs yet and I don't know how that's going to work yet. The idea is to look at the songs Jeff has. I don't know what's going to happen with them yet. It's a matter of sitting down and working with them. Bottom line is, Jeff was such a strong songwriter, if we can't finish something he's written, if we can't finish it, well, it might be something that has to wait."On SLAYER's unwavering brutality:Bostaph: "When you're a fan of music and metal and you fall in love with a band, that has purity to it. Then if they compromise that purity or stain it somehow, it's not a very good feeling as a fan, and this band is very in touch with that because we're fans of heavy metal as well. SLAYER never compromises. They do what they love to do and it's a really hard thing for any band to maintain for an entire career and it's one of the reasons why they're so respected and loved by their fans."Read the entire interview at The Feedback Society.

More...