Paul Gilbert Rules

spatch

Nov 20, 2003
London Uk
I just saw Paul Gilbert play at the Mean Fiddler last night; the band was really tight Paul has this amazing ability to be be able to lay down some really cool grooves, play some insane solos and make it all look so effortless.
I also saw Al Di Meola at the Jazz Cafe; another great concert. Al is just one of the most talented guys around and the show had a him rocking it up and mixing this with some fabalous acoustic playing.

That's so awesome and man I believe you when you say both these kats ripped it up.

Gilbert just has that way of putting a little bit of everything in his set and at the same time makes it fun for the listener. He's just the best.
I saw De Lucia, Di Meola and McLaughlin when they reunited for another CD. I know people say this maybe too often but that show was life changing for me. I'm a huge fan of Poco and Di Meola and they were fantastic. That night McLaughlin owned them all. His amazing technique and melodies on an Acoustic stole the night. He was so organic and wasn't repeating much of anything, just a flow from A guitar god and a performance I will never forget. My brother and I were sitting in totally different areas and when we met up after the show with a friend we all couldn't stop talking about McLaughlin's performance. Performances from Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Buckethead, McLaughlin, Hedges, Metheny, Benson and Jason Becker put me in the musical high of there's not much to be said but WOW!!

Awesome you caught two awesome shows Spatch and thanks for sharing bro.

Jasun

I was lucky to see Shawn play before he past away; he just blew me away. I never seen anyone play like him and I seen nearly them all. Shawn came across as a really nice guy; but his playing was on another planet.
I have yet to see Buckethead and missed Michael Hedges.
I also caught Paco Di Meola and McLaughlin play and yes McLaughlin was amazing but the life changing one was Shawn Lane

I totally agree with you on Shawn Lane. We were lucky enough to catch him with Hellborg in LA at the NAMM show. They were the last to go on and the place cleared out (Which was totally crazy). We were in awe the whole time and that was the moment where I practice wide interval material for 8 straight months. (My arms took a nice beating). My bro, Mikey and I went to Denny's right after their performance (You can already see my mind was on the music high of Lane's performance because I ate at Denny's). We just looked at each other and can honestly say we were all overwhelmed. We were leaving and as I'm exiting here comes Shawn Lane to grab a bite. I just told him man you changed my world tonight man and you're just the best. He smiled and said thanks so much for saying that.....SHAWN LANE IS THE MAN and it's just a shame he left this World so young. His music lives forever.

METAL!!

Jasun