PAUL STANLEY, SLASH, ZAKK WYLDE, NIKKI SIXX, MICHAEL ANTHONY React To Passing Of JOHN

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Paul Stanley (KISS), Slash (GUNS N' ROSES), Zakk Wylde (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, OZZY OSBOURNE), Nikki Sixx (MÖTLEY CRÜE) and Michael Anthony (VAN HALEN, CHICKENFOOT) are among the musicians who reacted on Twitter and Facebook to the passing of blues legend Johnny Winter, who died Wednesday (July 16) at his hotel room in Zurich, Switzerland at the age of 70.According to the Chicago Tribune, there was no indication of third-party involvement, and early signs pointed to a medically related incident.A prosecutor has ordered an autopsy because the cause of death is unclear.Speaking to JournalStar.com last month, Johnny Winter said: "When I was about 12, I knew I wanted to be a musician. The blues had so much emotion and so much feeling; if you don't have that, you're not going to be good at it."Asked if there was anything left for him to accomplish, Winter said: "I've never won a Grammy on my own — I'd like to do that. The ones I've got have been with Muddy. I've been nominated a lot of times but never won."Regarding what he would like his legacy to be, Winter said: "I just hope I'm remembered as a good blues musician."Winter remained active up until his death and was scheduled to release a new studio album, "Step Back", on September 2 via Megaforce Records. The follow-up to 2011's "Roots" features a host of special guests, including Eric Clapton, Ben Harper, Billy Gibbons, Joe Perry, Dr. John, Leslie West, Brian Setzer and Joe Bonnamassa.Matt Sorum (GUNS N' ROSES): "I've just become close with Edgar and I'm so sad for him and his family. They had plans to tour."Billy Gibbons (ZZ TOP): "When I first saw Johnny perform, I was maybe 12 or 13, and he was known as 'Johnny Cool Daddy Winter' and we've always thought of him as exactly that: 'One Cool Daddy.'"Johnny became a dear and passionate friend as well as the accomplished bluesman we have come to admire. "It's now a moment for celebration of his brilliance frozen for all time. "We've lost another of the gifted guitar greats and a truly soulful spirit."
Check my Instagram @SLASH for a great shot of the late great Johnny Winter. RIP
— Slash (@Slash) July 17, 2014
GOD BLESS JOHNNY WINTER 1944-2014...LONG LIVE THE KING OF THE FIREBIRD - tBLSt SDMF tJWt pic.twitter.com/amOSEQ7NHk
— Zakk Wylde (@ZakkWyldeBLS) July 17, 2014
Rest in peace #JohnnyWinter. We all knew him. TJ got his first Firebird from Johnny in NYC in '73! Cool guy, Incredible guitar player!
— The Doobie Brothers (@TheDoobieBros) July 17, 2014
R.I.P Johnny Winter - We will miss you
— Joe Satriani (@chickenfootjoe) July 17, 2014

Post by Mad Anthony's Cafe.

So bummed to hear about Johnny Winters passing. I spend many many years soaking up his music late into the night. #Original #TheBlues
— Nikki Sixx (@NikkiSixx) July 17, 2014
We are really sad to hear that Johnny Winter has passed away. The world has lost a true legend and good man. Rest... http://t.co/aUCMqbtD3r
— FOGHAT (@FOGHAT) July 17, 2014
RIP JOHNNY WINTER. We have lost one of the absolute greats. What a player. Thank you for all the fire. pic.twitter.com/wzBlyKuW3g
— Paul Stanley (@PaulStanleyLive) July 17, 2014
god bless johnny winter. R.I.P.
— Flea (@flea333) July 17, 2014

Post by Bruce Kulick.

Post by Steve Lukather.

Firebirds, slide & national steel...Just some of Johnny Winters influence on me. He changed my playing… http://t.co/IY9XX9tTzR
— Tom Keifer (@TomKeiferMusic) July 17, 2014
Silver bells keep ringing. #johnnywinter #mannishboy
— Fred Coury (@fredcoury) July 17, 2014

More...