PAZ Meter into ---> Slate VCC VU Meter - Pro Tools

HerbieSwizzle

Aug 16, 2010
After trimming my tracks down for proper gain staging (-18dbfs average peak) in pro tools, when I pop up Slate VCC the meter is averaging halfway to 0VU... I thought -18dbfs should approximately be hitting 0VU??

Is this normal for you guys? Or is something off with my calibration....

FYI: I am using PAZ Meters at fastest response to analyze my average Peaks (Blue Bar) and trim accordingly.

Slate calibration is set to -18

Thats why I suggested using pink or white noise, as its the same volume Peak and RMS

Okay let me try the noise and see if its hovering at 0VU.

If that works and my meters aren't bugged and calibration is correct, I might just raise the input of the VCC to make it hit 0VU or raise my trim back up.

You don't need to go through hell and back to make sure everything is hitting precisely 0vu dude... First off, VU meters measure the RMS signal not the peak. Peak meters usually come in digital or LED formats on consoles. So the point is to set up your gain staging like you would in a console/ tape machine, with most signals averaging around 0db. The Slate VCC meter is going to show you the RMS, just like an old console would. Your drums for example will be peaking closer to -10 to -6ish. This is perfectly fine and normal. When I set levels of drums to tape with vu meters, they frequently DO NOT go near 0VU. This is because the peaks are too fast for the vu meter to read, and will end up distorting/ clipping if you try to push them too hard.

Don't go too crazy. If you're tracking the stuff, just record with your meters mostly in the green. Your drums will peak a bit higher, but try to keep them below -6 for the most part. If you're mixing stuff that you didn't track, just trim the input a bit til it's at an acceptable level. I do like the VCC meters a lot, so I just keep the master buss meter open, solo the track, adjust its trim real quick, and move on.

Anyway just keep this in mind: you're aiming for -18 RMS, or 0VU on the slate meter, and it's not life and death. Just leave yourself a little headroom and mix some shit.

You don't need to go through hell and back to make sure everything is hitting precisely 0vu dude... First off, VU meters measure the RMS signal not the peak. Peak meters usually come in digital or LED formats on consoles. So the point is to set up your gain staging like you would in a console/ tape machine, with most signals averaging around 0db. The Slate VCC meter is going to show you the RMS, just like an old console would. Your drums for example will be peaking closer to -10 to -6ish. This is perfectly fine and normal. When I set levels of drums to tape with vu meters, they frequently DO NOT go near 0VU. This is because the peaks are too fast for the vu meter to read, and will end up distorting/ clipping if you try to push them too hard.

Don't go too crazy. If you're tracking the stuff, just record with your meters mostly in the green. Your drums will peak a bit higher, but try to keep them below -6 for the most part. If you're mixing stuff that you didn't track, just trim the input a bit til it's at an acceptable level. I do like the VCC meters a lot, so I just keep the master buss meter open, solo the track, adjust its trim real quick, and move on.

Anyway just keep this in mind: you're aiming for -18 RMS, or 0VU on the slate meter, and it's not life and death. Just leave yourself a little headroom and mix some shit.

Fucking love you by the way... Your advice has helped a lot.

It's all about workflow. Trying to run and make this shit second nature instead of worrying about the little shit...

Thank you.