Peaks, VU @ 0, and transient levels...

snarepeaks

New Metal Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hello,

I am trying to get each track (guitars, bass, kick, snare, etc,.) at VU=0 with my peaks around -6dbFS to -12dbFS and RMS=-18.

My question is with using a snare sample (SSD). I am first trimming the sample with Sonalksis Free G Stereo to try and reach VU=0 but my peaks are far too high. Is this where transient peaks come into play where each instrument have different VU and peak levels?

If this is the case, how can one aim for a snare sample at VU=0 or is the sample signal already processed at this level?

I am using SatsonBuss as my VU meter.

From what I understand (having just researched the same issue), transient material, like a snare hit or kick hit, should peak at around -6 or -10 on the VU meter. Toms can be -3 or -5. I guess VU meters are too slow for reading transient heavy stuff accurately. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

This might help: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/836559-gain-staging-klanghelm-vumt.html

VU doesn't catch transients.
Use the DBFS meter on your DAW.
You should hit about -12DBFS to prevent overloading your mic pres and converters

I think the question isn't regarding tracking it is regarding hot samples. I know what he means, I've often wondered as well why most drum samples are so hot. Most samples are peaking out the meters. I'm surprised I don't run across more samples that are roughly -18rms maybe -6db peak. The old louder the better motto is probably the reason.