Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
PENUMBRA - SECLUSION
Season of Mist - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

Seclusion.jpg

Seclusion is one album that just totally went below the radar and escaped my attention. Luckily, I have now been able to hear this latest release from the gothic metal band Penumbra and if you consider yourself fans of bands like Therion, Tristania and The Sins of Thy Beloved then Penumbra is one band that deserves your immediate attention.

Seclusion is a concept album based on a love quest between an angel and a mortal and the characters are portrayed by their distinct type of vocals. Throughout this album one will hear a clean female voice, a clean male voice and a harsh male voice, along the way a choir will make its appearance every so often. This interplay of singing is very refreshing and without the ability to read the lyrics and when the characters are coming up, one really does not know what will come next.

This guessing game also proves true with the music itself. At its heart, there are the usual metal instruments as well as keyboards that will be played from a fast and heavy tempo to a more melodic and tranquil pace. But Seclusion adds plenty of more musical instruments that give the album a more rich and full sound and just add to its symphonic nature. Such instruments include bagpipes in “Seclusion”, a flute in “Conception” and an oboe in “Cursed Destiny” and “Crimson Tail”. They are all used to enhance the sound and add to its theatrical feeling. In other instances different musical genres are used like a middle-eastern feel to “The Prophetess” and a techno-like instrumental section during “Hope”, incidentally my favorite song of the album.

Penumbra have definitely done enough to sound refreshing and exciting. It may take a couple of listens to really get into it but once it does it will be hard to get it out of your CD player. Seclusion provides a grandiose, symphonic and even fun listening experience and it definitely was a welcomed surprise.

Season of Mist Website
Penumbra Official Website