Performance ideas

tilldagmar

New Metal Member
Mar 11, 2007
Alright, so i was approached the other day and asked if i wanted to play at the end of the school year party deal (we call it "picnic day"). They set aside time for everyone to come and watch the "musicians" from our school play. After I said yes, I realized "What am I going to play?" So here I am on the Musicians forum asking all you fellow metalheads a question. Any song ideas for me to play? or maybe excirpts from various songs thrown together (all of the same key of course), or possibly writing a song ( thinking along the lines of G harmonic Major, D Harmonic Major...etc,etc). Oh yeah this will be played on the guitar, I can't vary easily play the piano and guitar at the same time haha. So, please, If you could throw some ideas out there for me to process i would greatly appreciate it, thank you.

-Nick

Play I'll See The Light Tonight by Yngwie Malmsteen and reenact the music video.

i did somthing similar when i graduated last year. my band played crazy train. You've gotta keep in mind that you're entertaining a group of your peers, most of which who could give a shit about how metal you are or how awesome of a guitar solo you can play, so play something that everyone can enjoy or no one will be interested in listening. No offence, but if you have to ask for performance advice on a forum, then it's easy to see that you're not the showman that Vai is and you should ignore people telling you to play a vai tune. You're not going to be able to sell a Vai tune to your high school peers without the kind of showmanship that he has. Try to find a happy medium between what you want to play and what people are going to want to listen to.

i did somthing similar when i graduated last year. my band played crazy train. You've gotta keep in mind that you're entertaining a group of your peers, most of which who could give a shit about how metal you are or how awesome of a guitar solo you can play, so play something that everyone can enjoy or no one will be interested in listening. No offence, but if you have to ask for performance advice on a forum, then it's easy to see that you're not the showman that Vai is and you should ignore people telling you to play a vai tune. You're not going to be able to sell a Vai tune to your high school peers without the kind of showmanship that he has. Try to find a happy medium between what you want to play and what people are going to want to listen to.

agreed, from experience I'd say it is a littler harder to play infront of your peers rather than a bunch of ppl at a local venue. No i don't have the showmanship of Vai, For that matter, not many do lol. I agree that I will need to play something recognizable, I was thinking maybe doing something that Micheal Angelo Batio did on his latest album. I know that's not original at all but I don't have much time.

If you can play MAB stuff without fking it up you don't even need to ask here as Meedleyx10 said.