Performance ideas

tilldagmar

New Metal Member
Mar 11, 2007
Alright, so i was approached the other day and asked if i wanted to play at the end of the school year party deal (we call it "picnic day"). They set aside time for everyone to come and watch the "musicians" from our school play. After I said yes, I realized "What am I going to play?" So here I am on the Chris Broderick forum asking all you fellow metalheads a question. Any song ideas for me to play? or maybe excirpts from various songs thrown together (all of the same key of course), or possibly writing a song ( thinking along the lines of G harmonic Major, D Harmonic Major...etc,etc). Oh yeah this will be played on the guitar, I can't vary easily play the piano and guitar at the same time haha. So, please, If you could throw some ideas out there for me to process i would greatly appreciate it, thank you.

-Nick

looking to do stuff in the style of like Jeff Loomis, John Petrucci, Michel Romeo, Gus G., Yngwie, Jason Becker, Tom Englund, Henrik Dahnage, Micheal Angelo Batio..so on and so forth i think you get the point. I glanced down and soo my Dream Theater books laying here, i thought about maybe puting different solo sections together to form one big compilation. You possibly have any ideas like that?

Do something people will recognize....stairway, purple haze, smoke on the water, walk by pantera, etc... then throw in some shredder riffs.

yeah, actually i was thinking jaws of life but i can play damage control as well-thats a more interesting song anyway. As far as my playing ability- I can play a lot of everything. I guyess the songs i've been playing most recently would be "No way"- Dream Evil, "Alone"-James Labrie, "This
Dying Soul"-Dream Theater, "Eye of the Storm"(with more flare)-Killswitch, "My Land"-Sonata Arctica, and I'm working on tabbing out "Raise Hell" from Outworld's debut album. But here's what I have trouble with playing; parts of Romeo's solo's for example "Out of the Ashes", It could be that i just don't have the patience. I can play some of his solo's but some are a little diffucult to grasp. And obviously there are plenty of things out there i cant play, but for the most part if it's a difficult piece and I sit down with it and learn it bar by bar then i can play it.

play something that lots of people know like maybe a metallica song. also try to show off like playing behind your head or under your leg or something :lol:

If it was me, and I was playing with no backing band, I'd play something that they wouldn't know, so as not to seem like "another metallica/ hendrix/ (insert popular guitarist) wanabe. What I would play is something that's maybe a little bit technical, but not over the top, with enough melody to have people watch you with a degree of interest and have them walk away saying "that was different, but I liked it".

In short, I would try not to be too cliche, but rather entertaining.