Periphery Juggernaut

Mardoch

Defender of the Universe
Oct 23, 2010
Baton Rouge, LA
I know I'm not the only one around here who's grabbed it. What say ye, folks?

Personally I think it's their most diverse work yet, in that it's not a predominantly Misha album, and in that diversity their strength really comes through. They're all freakin great writers.

I guess I'm a bit on the fence right now. The production is very tasty, and there is some variety in there, although it is still pretty much Periphery as expected. Maybe it's because there are two discs worth of material, but I find Spencer's vocals to be just annoying. His harsh tones are engaging, and his clean tones are absolutely whiny.

I'll have to give my ears a rest and go back to it later. I have a shit load of albums waiting in the queue (Port Noir, Arcane, In Search of Sun, Deep Limbic System, Paving the Labrynith, Astral DNA, Ohio Sky).

It took me a while but I just kind of accept Spencer at face value now. He puts on a good show, and his harsh vocals and his vocal lines can be very awesome. His cleans do sound...not to my preference, I'll say.

He is definitely whiny, but it's who they are marketing these albums too. The vocal melodies in certain songs definitely cannot be denied. Some very catchy stuff. With that being said some of the riffage is very uninspiring and just a bunch alternate chug patterns. Drummer rules though for sure.

Bravewords has a pretty good interview with Nolly up on their site.

http://bravewords.com/features/peri...rk-story-based-around-a-concept-of-the-occult

I'm not sure we're listening to the same tracks. This is the least outright djenty (aka stuttering chugga) of their work. I definitely wouldn't call any of their guitarists uninspired.

Maybe the djent genre as a whole is getting pretty boring to me. I can only hear so many pro-tools generated riff patterns before it becomes extremely repetitive no matter how many twirly arpeggio runs you put over it. His vocals are absolutely the only thing that keeps it interesting to me. Djent is just extremely boring when you strip it down.

Periphery are not as good as the last Textures album. That is the pinnacle, beside the genius of Destroy Erase Improve.

Again, I enjoy these albums but it's because the vocals are different than most progressive metal so it adds another element.

I'm a pretty big djent fan but I just cannot get into Periphery. Its not the sole reason but definitely one of the big things I dislike about the band is Spencer. I just cannot get into his vocals, particularly the cleans. I remember when Misha was releasing the early demos with Chris Barretto on vocals, that shit was awesome and I was super excited about the future of the band. But when their debut dropped, that still stands as one of the biggest disappointments for me. And their stuff since is even less appealing.

I remember taking a ton of shit on here for saying that I didn't like dude's cleans way back a few years ago. Seems I wasn't the only one. I gave them another shot because of this thread. Still can't get past his vocals. I feel like I should be at the mall...

I'm not sure we're listening to the same tracks. This is the least outright djenty (aka stuttering chugga) of their work. I definitely wouldn't call any of their guitarists uninspired.

It's still pretty djenty, and the whole genre's running out of ideas, but at least Periphery is attempting to branch out.

I also find it a pity that best guitarist in the band plays bass, but that's how it worked out. Nolly's a good guy, too.

I don't think they had two albums worth of stuff here, though, even ignoring Spencer.