Periphery?

Periphery is awful, horribly boring, overproduced shit with horrible vocals. The riffage,"djent" style or whatever, is complete Meshuggah worship, and anyone whos listened to Meshuggah knows their shit. Writing the same album over and over again.

I'm sorry, their just horrible, and the bands aping them are even worse.

Periphery is awful, horribly boring, overproduced shit with horrible vocals. The riffage,"djent" style or whatever, is complete Meshuggah worship, and anyone whos listened to Meshuggah knows their shit. Writing the same album over and over again.

I'm sorry, their just horrible, and the bands aping them are even worse.

Are you fucking serious man? If you think that meshuggah write the same albums over and over again you either havent heard meshuggah, or like the pensioners at my work, dont understand it.

I like some Meshuggah songs, but I get shit bored of listening to them pretty quickly. And any band that attempts to replicate Meshuggah seem to take the worst elements of them and make it sound even more boring.

I like some Meshuggah songs, but I get shit bored of listening to them pretty quickly. And any band that attempts to replicate Meshuggah seem to take the worst elements of them and make it sound even more boring.

Agreed about bands trying to replicate them sounding shit. But how the fuck could this guy possibly think all albums sound the same? To me that sounds the same as my grandmother telling me that all metal bands with screamers/growlers sound the same.

Every album uses the same style of writing, it sounds different, but barely. Except for one album, which escapes me at this time, it's all terribly boring. And don't try to use that ol' I'm kvlter then thou because I can understand Meshuggah and you can't, because I do understand what their going for, but it's not impressive in the least.

I suppose i have to except thats your opinion. If you find it boring than i cant argue with that, i just know that i dont.
I just find it really hard that people cant appreciate the songwriting of meshuggah. These guys just blow me away.

'cuz Combustion and Dancers to a Discordant System sound identical right!11?!?

I agree that Meshuggah get a bit too much fanboi "OMG THEY ARE PLAYING IN 11111/128!" but they did pretty much pioneer that sound, to their credit.

I also think a few Meshuggah haters underestimate the difficulty of playing their songs, on drums at least. There are few metal bands it takes me longer to learn the songs of than Meshuggah (obviously ignoring speed issues, which is a physical issue rather than a complexity issue). Admittedly technical ability has very little to do with whether a band's music is good or not though, and Meshuggah does get boring pretty quickly.

My response to hearing the opening track on ObZen "This is awesome". My response to the second track, and then to the rest of the album: "Do they do anything else?"

I also think a few Meshuggah haters underestimate the difficulty of playing their songs, on drums at least. There are few metal bands it takes me longer to learn the songs of than Meshuggah (obviously ignoring speed issues, which is a physical issue rather than a complexity issue). Admittedly technical ability has very little to do with whether a band's music is good or not though, and Meshuggah does get boring pretty quickly.
I won't deny that the drummer is talented, but it's easy to write in those patterns for guitar, if you're doing those simple chugging rhythms. Also, I'm not entirely convinced that the band understands the time signatures they write in. It seems they are just naturally playing odd patterns, instead of consciously creating rhythmically technical music.

Yeah I won't deny that melodically they leave a lot to be desired >_< I think they have a pretty good grasp over the rhythms they perform - the more intricate sections of future breed machine for example loop perfectly and are definitely well thought out.

I've heard people claim that it's actually pretty hard to play some of Thordendal's guitar parts but I've never tried, so don't know whether to put it down to fanboi-ism or an accurate observation.

Yeah they definately dont understand the time signatures they write, thats why they dont play live. Oh wait, they do, and fucking rule at it. If its so easy to play meshuggah on guitar, prove it.

You didn't quite understand me. I didn't say they couldn't play these songs, but that it seems that they didn't intentionally write in X/X signature, that it's just natural for them. There's a difference in writing technical music to express musicianship, and writing it naturally, while possibly not understanding fully what's so technical about it. I'm not really a fan, I just hear quotes and information through a friend who's almost obsessed. I could be wrong, but until someone shows me otherwise... and, Yes, I could play Meshuggah. It's not the easiest music in the world, but the patterns are simple to understand when placed over basic 4/4.

You didn't quite understand me. I didn't say they couldn't play these songs, but that it seems that they didn't intentionally write in X/X signature, that it's just natural for them. There's a difference in writing technical music to express musicianship, and writing it naturally, while possibly not understanding fully what's so technical about it. I'm not really a fan, I just hear quotes and information through a friend who's almost obsessed. I could be wrong, but until someone shows me otherwise... and, Yes, I could play Meshuggah. It's not the easiest music in the world, but the patterns are simple to understand when placed over basic 4/4.

Yes most meshuggah songs are written in polyrythms so they do indeed have a 4/4 beat playing at the same time as what ever crazy ass timing. I dont understand how it really matters whether they intentionally wrote in xx/xx time signature. Last time i sat down and wrote a riff, i didnt say 'now lets write a 12/8 riff' i just wrote the fucking riff and worried about the time signature afterwards. Fact is meshuggah write and perform crazy technical songs, therefor understand time signatures. Even if what you say about it coming naturally is true, i dont see how it makes them any less impressive, or how they fail to express themselves musically. BTW Like i said, if its so easy.. prove it.

You're annoying as fuck; some people just don't like their fucking music, so get over it and go cry somewhere else. Technical ability =/= good.