Perpetual Motion

I have always agreed, John. Both Steve and I would love nothing more than to play 100 gigs. But we just can't. Our life styles and families prevent us from even considering that. I think the internet still has its place. I've just never been so disappointed with the response and lack of support - but that's because I got my hopes up based on the last album. I assumed something that was plain foolish, and now, judging by the high percentage of people who have been really pushing us (buying multiple copies and handing them out to friends, etc.) in our own area, we know how important it will be to play local gigs and double, then triple our following. Times change. Banking on the same people from before was not a very wise move. I've been taught that the "what have you done for me lately" thing is soooo true. But, then again, you warned me of that too, didn't you? LOL. Maybe I should start taking your advice more often, LOL.

Listening over and over to this disc, the drums need to be higher in the mix in several places, and the cymbals were effected far more than I anticipated by the compression during the mastering stage. But I wouldn't change one chord or one note. It came out the way I wanted it to. The dark and depressing sounds need to be there. The desonant chords are "on purpose" (representing the conflict within), and Sorrell's vocals are perfect (in my opinion) for what we want our sound to be.

As Steve said earlier, prog fans are known for "pointing out what they don't like" far more than what they DO like. I'm not stereotyping...I'm going by experience. But I'm a prog nut, so I expect it. But I dragged Sorrell's ass into the :"genre" because I thought it's where we belonged. Now he's having to watch my executive decision unravel into a series of disappointing results, when, all the while, the people who really dig this album are regular Joe blows who listen to "whatever" and never claim to be prog snobs.

I still have a hard time listening to new Rush. I can't stand how corporate record labels ruined Styx and Kansas. I think Dream Theater's best stuff was Images and Words and Awake (and later on "Scenes"). So, yeah, I fall right into the lines of those who expect more from their favorite bands. But, if I was a close friend, or long time internet acquaintance of the bands that I was supporting, I think I'd just let them know that I got the CD and was listening to it. THAT really is the kind of support we need. If a musician doesn't feel the love or appreciation, the only reason they would even make music would be because they love to....and if that was the case, why spend thousands of dollars to record it, make nice booklets, and put them up for sell? Maybe the next CD will be completely done in house and made "as needed". If people don't understand where I'm coming from, then they have no clue what it's like being in our shoes. Expectations? I don't get paid enough. Rush DOES.

Question for you. Is there any particular person(s) giving the new record a bad rap? I know I've enjoyed the heck out of it, even being an ex-progsnob myself. :lol: Seems everyone here is fully behind the music. Now I know it's not the number of participants we once had at the Esucarys forum. Still, you were the one who pointed out that many were there just for the social setting and not as fans of the band. That's pitiful, I agree. I'll reiterate a point already made. A band does get it's name out there faster and better by touring. I understand completely that you guys have regular lives, jobs, families...and you can't just up and hit the road for extended amounts of time. Simply book a gig here and there and things are bound to blossom. I can't do much more pushing where I'm at. Outside my family and work environment, I have no time for mixing in the music scene around here. Besides, northern Alabama is a country/southern rock paradise and they'd wonder "what kind of crap" this was if I put on an APtT disc. :Smug:

Guys, I wish you the very best in the music business! Just remember this as well... Queensryche released Operation: Mindcrime in early 1988. It wasn't until late '88, maybe even 1989 before it started getting recognition. They had to tour with the likes of Metallica on the AJFA tour for it to start selling big. Sometimes you have to exercise patience(young Jedi). Give it time, fellas. :)

It's not the "bad rap" or negative comments. The people here have been like our family. Could you imagine how excited we were to finally release this and how much we were looking forward to people getting the disc? Only three people let us know when they got the disc in the mail. Three. There are several people in particular who are very close to us and who we sent a disc to and heard nothing. That made both of us realize just how much things have changed. Maybe it's the age of MySpace. Maybe people just don't have the time. Maybe the entire country is suffering from internet burn out. Who knows. We are not upset....we just had our hopes dashed a bit. The anticipation of waiting to hear people's thoughts was dashed by days and days gone by reading nothing. Hey, I had the new DT disc for two months before I even listened to it. SymphonyX is my favorite band and it took me a month to listen to their new disc three times. So I am admitting things have changed. It's different when you are so close to so many people, though. I won't try to explain it any more. The only reason this topic got brought into the Perpetual Motion Thread is because it was just nice to hear any kind of comments, and we heard more from Jax's thread over there in two days than we did in two months here.

Steve, it is not about need , or money or becoming a big name act altough that is all great. I just feel that seeing the band live is " fun" mixing the band live is "fun" and you guys truly have a fun show , great songs and it's a freakin party....I look forward to hearing and seeing you live , hell it is what I do for a living everyday!