Perspective of a first timer (LONG POST!)

Going in, many people claimed this to be one of the weakest PP lineups.

Depends who you ask, I guess. I thought this year's lineup was very strong, but really didn't care for the year before (aside from Pretty Maids, of course). It's like Dream Theater albums - fan reaction is always split.

Now that you've attended, I'm guessing you see what brings people back even when it's not their kind of lineup that year.

This is the biggest and often the first U.S. audience many of these bands get to perform for... so they bring their "A" game.

Great point.
I thoroughly enjoyed Circus Maximus live, even though its not something I would listen to daily on my own. They definitely brought it.

I actually saw you once from a distance during Saint.

Too bad we didn't get a chance to meet formally.

I thoroughly enjoyed Circus Maximus live, even though its not something I would listen to daily on my own. They definitely brought it.
I was not a CM fan until I saw them live. They just come across so much better live than on disc.

I actually saw you once from a distance during Saint.

Too bad we didn't get a chance to meet formally.
You should have come up and said Hi. I was hoping we'd finally get a chance to meet. Hopefully next year. You'll just have to bring the wife for your anniversary.

You should have come up and said Hi. I was hoping we'd finally get a chance to meet. Hopefully next year. You'll just have to bring the wife for your anniversary.

I was actually seated during Saint and I saw you going down the stairs to the floor.

Yeah, it's not my wife's thing at all unfortunately.
She goes to shows with me on rare ocassion.

Next year it falls on my daughter's birthday.....

If only later in the month!!!!!! :heh:

It was my first year as well, and I agree with most of your observations. For years I've wanted to go, but the expense in time and money was just too great to justify traveling all the way from the west coast. This year the lineup and timing just clicked right, and next year it will again. Not sure how regular I will become, but it will be at least 2 years in a row for me. If it was on the west coast I'd be there every single year.

It's nice seeing the fresh perspectives on PP. I have tried to explain it to people to get them to come, but it really doesn't make sense until you actually attend. I think most of us recognize the unique nature of PP, which explains the protective nature of some of the responses people might see on this bulletin board.

Maybe there can be a day care room, and there can be a nanny camera in the room which will be broadcast on the screens throughout the fest. Now that would be metal!

If the Sabaton fanatic that we shared pizza with is on here (left side of the stage, 3 rows up for most of Saturday), get in touch with me.. we forgot to get your name. :)

Was it you and I assume your wife/girlfriend that was sitting in the third row right on the isle on the left side facing the stage? If I recall, you both were wearing camo pants as well. You were saving that seat right next to you as well? I was was the big guy with the long wavy/curly blond hair wearing camo capri-type shorts and Fates Warning shirt that you shared pizza with, which was greatly appreciated. I believe that was indeed me you are referring to here. I completely forgot to get your name as well.

I am glad you had an awesome time, as ProgPower really is an awesome event and frankly, don't think there is anything like it at all in the US.

But yeah, during the Sabaton set, I had to be on the floor, as that was just insane!