A sponsorers perspective

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
I've heard a lot of people mention that they would like to sponsor a band in the future. I just wanted to give people a little perspective from myself, who was a first time sponsorer this year. Only really doing this because I was always curious, and never saw anybody else post something similar.

One thing people tend to want to know is.. what are the perks. Well lets be clear. There's primarily 4. 1) Seeing a band you helped get here on stage and enjoying the hell out of their set and not giving a damn if anybody else is having a good time (yes I was a co-sponsor for Virgin Steele and had a bloody great time watching them, forget the haters). 2) Knowing that you contributed to such an awesome festival. 3) More availability to interact with the bands. 4) Camera priviliges

As for 1... that was the biggest thing for me. One surely has to question when they put down some money if they are getting their money's worth. After VS's set I knew I got my money worth. So yeah, I do recommend doing it. As for people saying 'I'll do it when I get spare cash.' Honestly, ask how many of the sponsorers will say that they just had ($X) laying around with no clue what they wanted to do with it. Heck ask Drew, who had to get his own sponsor to attend the event!! =) Also, you can stand in front of the barrier for your band's entire set if you want. I sat in the seats.

As for 2, its a good feeling. Sure you aren't going to make money from your investment, but you also aren't doing any work. I don't know how much Glenn makes on the whole event, but I bet when all is totalled its basically sweatshop labor of love. But this fest couldn't happen without people doing it. At least, it couldn't happen with the level of talent on stage that we have been privileged to watch. So knowing that you are a part of making it possible is definitely cool.

And 3... other sponsorers can chime in more on this one if they want. I really didn't use my VIP badge much. But there is definitely a better chance to run into them backstage without another 100 people all trying to talk to them.

4) You can use a digital camera. I don't take pictures. I rely on Esa for that ;) You also get to stand in front of the barrier for the first 2 songs of every band, but thats mostly for taking some close up photos if you want to (and as previously mentioned, for the entire set of your band).

And of course, this year, along with gold badge holders, it meant an automatic entry into the clinics.

Overall, I recommend being a sponsorer at some point. I think you'll find that you get your money's worth.

The perks aside, being a sponsor is just cool as hell. You know that your donation has helped bring a band that you love to the forefront of the American music scene. It's a good feeling when you hear the cheers and lavish words said about the band you sponsored. Think how i felt in 2006 when i sponsored FREAK KITCHEN. Nothing can beat that feeling. I will continue to sponsor as long as Glenn selects me for that honor.

I very much want to sponsor Falconer for a future ProgPower - mostly because I REALLY want to see Falconer play here in the US with Mathias on vocals. So for that, point #1 in Cherion's list would be the biggest thing for me.

Thanks for the perspective. :)

The best thing about being a sponsor... watching soundchecks and starting CD shopping before the vendors are unpacked. :p Also the possibility to go eat all the bands' catering if one chooses, although I don't know if that's an option anymore. Also, access to the balcony to watch a band without dealing with the throngs is attractive.

Seriously though, the best thing about sponsoring a band is seeing what happens to the band afterwards.

In 2001 I sponsored Nightingale. Now Glenn can correct me if I'm wrong or remembering incorrectly, but I do believe I was the one that began ProgPower sponsorships when I started throwing money at Glenn to book a band I wanted to see. Nightingale didn't get the best response I've ever seen, but I didn't care, really. There were people who had been Swanö fanatics for many years who were finally able to meet the man and see him perform. Looking around during the performance, it was funny that not so many people were singing along, but I knew who they all were and I knew I done good. :p The fact that I worked to get Swanö over to the States for the first time was the coolest thing of all because I know how bad he wanted it. The brothers Swanö were also quite helpful to Glenn and crew on the technical side of things from what I understand.

... oh, and between that ProgPower and the next, Nightingale got a US record deal.

In 2002 I sponsored Devin Townsend. Another band that got a mixed reaction, haha. Best soundcheck ever. WALL OF SOUND. Not nearly as personal an experience as with Swanö, but it was still cool and I think Devy's solo stuff fits the fest.

... and between that ProgPower and the next, Devin Townsend got a US record deal, the first for his solo stuff.

In 2003 it was Mercenary. It wasn't exactly my choice of bands but I was definitely behind them once they were presented to me, and holy shit it was the first performance I sponsored that blew the roof off of the place. Cool shit, that.

... and between that ProgPower and the next, Mercenary got a US record deal.

2004 was Wuthering Heights, except I couldn't be in attendance to see them because of issues surrounding my move to Finland. (Glenn was gracious enough to let me get my VIP access in 05 to make up for it so I got to see Orphaned Land) They already had a record deal and at least they released the show as a live CD with their latest album so I got to hear what I missed. :D

After 05 I moved out of the country permanently, and after four fests of VIP access I don't know that I'd ever go to the trouble to cross the ocean for regular access no matter what the lineup (the social aspect of the fest is actually a turn-off for me... all of the people I'd want to see are quite overwhelmed and busy, bad environment for seeing actual friends)... but when I'm done with language classes and am actually earning money again... Glenn just might get some serious sponsorship offers (if only the dollar continues to slide, haha) for some really obscure (yet festival appropriate) choices. :D

"In 2003 it was Mercenary. It wasn't exactly my choice of bands but I was definitely behind them once they were presented to me, and holy shit it was the first performance I sponsored that blew the roof off of the place. Cool shit, that."

Thank you forever for that one, even if you didn't know it was coming. The main reason I put in a bid this year for the bands I did was because I believe in them and have been wanting them to succeed since I started listening to them. Also, one band in particular, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to guess which one, I've had quite a lot of interaction with the members, and I can't really think of a more deserving bunch of guys who have yet to grace the PP stage. Also, without help, lets face it, a lot of these bands wont get to the US.. once or ever again. This, really, is my way of saying "thanks for putting your blood, sweat, and tears into what you do. I love it so much, I want you guys to get the chance to play for everyone you can." I figure, if my sponsorship gets to bring a band over, and let them play, and lets fans from the US make a smaller sacrifice to see them (ie: not having to go to Europe), then I've done my part.

All of that said, I'm anxiously awaiting news on who's sponsoring who.

Too bad that the window of opportunity for sponsorship was only three days, otherwise I would have gladly sponsored a band (we ran out of time to discuss who we'd sponsor). I really like this music and want it to grow and flourish. Getting some great bands to play at PP can help it grow here in the US, as we all know that this type of music is not well known here.

Next time I'll gladly throw my hat in the ring to sponsor a band. SkiBumMSP and I have been discussing it for a couple of years so maybe next time around we can actually be able to do it!

Hehe, When they were introduced on the website, I fell immediately in love with their material. But when they took the stage, I fucking bounced around like a moron and sang along with their whole set. I'm pretty sure Mikkel and Kral were like "woah. this guy is nuts!" .. I remember Mikkel basically spent the entire performance right in front of me. Then Jacob handed me the setlist.

*swoon*

As for people saying 'I'll do it when I get spare cash.' Honestly, ask how many of the sponsorers will say that they just had ($X) laying around with no clue what they wanted to do with it.

Thanks for this point. I've been too nervous to put in sponsor bids because I didn't have the $ and didn't feel I should have made a promise without knowing I could keep it. That's my blessing and curse because I'm sure I could save $500 in a year :lol: If I could have read this before the sponsor bids were closed, I would have been ALL OVER putting in for S.U.E.!! I guess my wish came true anyway! :tickled:

Great thread, thanks for the perspective! I will definitely try to put in my bid for PPX!

Really cool thread! :) Thanks for posting it.

Maybe I should try to sponsor the Gathering sometime! It would certainly be less money than what I spent seeing them in 3 different continents this year! :lol: Bringing the band closer to me, a good concept.. =D

One of these days, I am going to put a sponsor bid in. My question is, if you put down X, Y, or Z bands that you are willing to sponsor, and you wind up with Q, can you back out or are you stuck? I mean, the world porbably knows the 5 or ten bands I would probably throw my money to.

Um. You make a list, in the order of what you most want. You will only get a band that is on your list (if chosen, and if you are a top bidder on that band .. depending on how many people Glenn wants for that band). If you don't put Q on your list you won't get Q. Some people basically write Glenn a blank check of a certain amount so its less band dependent, and Glenn might just give them a band based on where he needs a sponsor.

Um. You make a list, in the order of what you most want. You will only get a band that is on your list (if chosen, and if you are a top bidder on that band .. depending on how many people Glenn wants for that band). If you don't put Q on your list you won't get Q.

Well, one never knows. Sonata Arctica weren't in my original email to Glenn, but he's known me for a looong time and knows who I like, soo....

Some people basically write Glenn a blank check of a certain amount so its less band dependent,

"General Sponsors," yep.

and Glenn might just give them a band based on where he needs a sponsor.

This apparently happened to a really cool lady and her son (I assume) from New Mexico, who Glenn allocated to Sonata Arctica (along with me and The Q). They were really cool. :kickass:

Not too much to add to the discussion, except that Jim would have gotten in trouble this year if he went into the vendor room before it opened, or if he had snuck into Catering before 7:00. :lol:

This apparently happened to a really cool lady and her son (I assume) from New Mexico, who Glenn allocated to Sonata Arctica (along with me and The Q). They were really cool. :kickass:

Not too much to add to the discussion, except that Jim would have gotten in trouble this year if he went into the vendor room before it opened, or if he had snuck into Catering before 7:00. :lol:

Yeah she was pretty cool even if I do forget her name. We had a good laugh that we both flew all the way from New Mexico just to meet each other!

The window of opportunity on the Catering was about from 7-7:30. Saturday night I was lucky I grabbed a bottle of water when I did. :p

It's funny. We've never gone down to the catering, never gone up to the upstairs bar, never gone back stage (I have yet to meet any band that we've sponsored). We pretty much just park ourselves in seats and enjoy the show. But the sponsorship is SO worth every penny we spend every year. I've seen bands I NEVER thought I'd see live (Conception, Freak Kitchen), and these are experiences that make it totally worthwhile. Glenn has our money as long as he wants it, as there is no better festival on the planet.

Thanks again Glenn and the crew, and all the other sponsors. You have no idea how much fun we had this year. Is it time for the next show yet?:heh:

dt

Good posts, all around...

Once I saw what PPUSA was (my first was #3)...my primary motivation for sponsoring was to assist Glenn (in my own small way) in contributing to the North American metal scene. I don't pat myself on the back unnecessarily for the bands that I've sponsored (OK...maybe a little), but I take comfort in the fact that, quite possibly, my $$$ may have made it easier and/or more economical for Glenn to take on a band that either: (1) he wanted but was having difficulty juggling the general budget; (2) he was on the fence about; or (3) didn't even occur to him but he took the money, ran with it, made it happen, and filled a slot... In a nutshell, if our contribution furthers the progress of the festival, then I am proud (and also grateful) to be doing my small part.

Our group doesn't abuse our VIP passes much. I like getting there early, carving out some seats, visiting with Ernie (love that guy), getting some early shopping done...that's about it. We usually make a walk through the backstage and upstairs balcony bar at least once (just to say we did), and sometimes we get to visit with a few people backstage that we might not have caught in the lobby. None of us are pic fiends, so we don't utilize the "1st two songs" stage privileges...although there are some sponsors that consider that a MAJOR perk.

As far as seeing "your" band, we all caught Stride our first time around sponsoring...great set! 2 out of the 3 of us caught the full Thunderstone set last year (I sat back and rocked out from the seats, happy as a...very-happy-something. 2 out of 3 of us caught the full PF set this year (myself included), and I was rocking out mightily (wonder if I'll be on the DVD?).

It all depends on what your intentions are. Glenn comes across like a vicious taskmaster with the rules because he has to be...and lines have to be drawn. The underlying reality of it is that he is the most accomodating, courteous promoter out there. While he's an incredibly busy man all weekend, you know that he definitely cares about the people that support him...and that's fucking cool!

Don't do it for the perks, do it to support the scene, the festival, or for the pride of it, whatever. The perks seem much more special that way, I think...

Our group isn't quite sure who we're sponsoring yet for IX (there are a few possibilities already in the roster, and 2 unknown headliners to go), but we're in the pool again this year...and we might not all be making it (due to work obligations). IX will be the first year we're dealing with a likely no-show. Even though I was recovering from pneumonia this year, it never occurred to me to NOT go. Regardless of our health, work, etc., we'll continue to support Glenn's continued and growing influence on the North American metal scene...cuz it don't get any better than that!

Our $0.02...from Doc (ashaman7122), Kat, and Jeff (Rakosh)...

Rock on!

The best thing about being a sponsor... watching soundchecks and starting CD shopping before the vendors are unpacked. :p Also the possibility to go eat all the bands' catering if one chooses, although I don't know if that's an option anymore. Also, access to the balcony to watch a band without dealing with the throngs is attractive.

Seriously though, the best thing about sponsoring a band is seeing what happens to the band afterwards.

In 2001 I sponsored Nightingale. Now Glenn can correct me if I'm wrong or remembering incorrectly, but I do believe I was the one that began ProgPower sponsorships when I started throwing money at Glenn to book a band I wanted to see. Nightingale didn't get the best response I've ever seen, but I didn't care, really. There were people who had been Swanö fanatics for many years who were finally able to meet the man and see him perform. Looking around during the performance, it was funny that not so many people were singing along, but I knew who they all were and I knew I done good. :p The fact that I worked to get Swanö over to the States for the first time was the coolest thing of all because I know how bad he wanted it. The brothers Swanö were also quite helpful to Glenn and crew on the technical side of things from what I understand.

... oh, and between that ProgPower and the next, Nightingale got a US record deal.

In 2002 I sponsored Devin Townsend. Another band that got a mixed reaction, haha. Best soundcheck ever. WALL OF SOUND. Not nearly as personal an experience as with Swanö, but it was still cool and I think Devy's solo stuff fits the fest.

... and between that ProgPower and the next, Devin Townsend got a US record deal, the first for his solo stuff.

In 2003 it was Mercenary. It wasn't exactly my choice of bands but I was definitely behind them once they were presented to me, and holy shit it was the first performance I sponsored that blew the roof off of the place. Cool shit, that.

... and between that ProgPower and the next, Mercenary got a US record deal.

2004 was Wuthering Heights, except I couldn't be in attendance to see them because of issues surrounding my move to Finland. (Glenn was gracious enough to let me get my VIP access in 05 to make up for it so I got to see Orphaned Land) They already had a record deal and at least they released the show as a live CD with their latest album so I got to hear what I missed. :D

After 05 I moved out of the country permanently, and after four fests of VIP access I don't know that I'd ever go to the trouble to cross the ocean for regular access no matter what the lineup (the social aspect of the fest is actually a turn-off for me... all of the people I'd want to see are quite overwhelmed and busy, bad environment for seeing actual friends)... but when I'm done with language classes and am actually earning money again... Glenn just might get some serious sponsorship offers (if only the dollar continues to slide, haha) for some really obscure (yet festival appropriate) choices. :D

Nightingale is what made the first one for me, so thumbs up to ya Bro. Granted that one will always be my fav, as first and in line-up, but Nightingale made it for me.