Perspective on the new roster

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I thought I would offer a bit of perspective on next year’s roster. I hope this helps cut down on the second guessing (aka bitching) not only here, but on other forums as well.

*I really think people are looking at the roster as complete now instead of remembering that I have not announced the two headliners. These will be unquestioned headliners instead of borderline or “creating a headliner situation” next year. I always wonder how much of a difference it would be to the first impression if the biggest draw was announced first.

*At the moment, I only have a single repeat band (yes, I am counting Oliva as a repeat). Elevating new talent is essential as there have not been many bands over the past couple of years to take a step up. So it becomes a damned if you do..damned if you don’t situation.

*The bigger names on the roster are prog-oriented at the moment. That is why I’m catching so much heat from the powerheads. The roster will be balanced out with the power headliners. In the words of Ron White, “Diamonds….that ought to shut her up.” Patience.

*I have announced this not only a year in advance of the show, but 5 months in front of ticket sales. That gives you plenty of time to do your homework. I think a few of you are going to feel *much* better once you actually listen to the music of those that you don’t know.

*It’s 12 bands, not 10. So if you don’t like 2 of them, then re-evaluate the roster without those names on it in your own mind AFTER the headliners are announced. You can get back to me then.

*I don’t expect anyone to agree with me on anything. It’s up to me to make some tough decisions. I’ll find out if I did “ok” once tickets go on sale.

As for the bands themselves:

Openers:

I wanted a hybrid approach on both bands.

Pathosray- The album just came off the presses last week. Nobody knows them. Same thing happened with Circus Maximus a few years ago and that turned out just fine.

Serenity: Released one of the best debuts in recent memory. They will appeal to both sides of the coin. Trust me.

2nd Slot:

Spheric Universe Experience: Well known in the prog circles. Power fans will not care and say they are a nobody. This is just about the exact same situation as Dreamscape a few years ago. That turned out just fine.

Elvenking: Small, but DEVOTED fanbase that will be the ultimate street team for a band on this roster. Older fans will enjoy the folk aspect while new fans will enjoy their new Nocturnal Rites style. The new album just came out so it needs time for word of mouth to spread.

3rd slot:

Astral Doors- Album of the month in most major European magazines for two consecutive releases, opened for Blind Guardian all across Europe, sales of each album are trending upwards, headline tour of Europe this year. Melodic power that balances things nicely.

Andromeda: You knew it was going to happen. I was just waiting for one more release. Will go over huge with the Redemption/Threshold fans. Once again, power fans will *yawn.* However, those were the same ones that screamed at me when I put Virgin Steele in a 2nd slot this year. They had the emptiest floor of the entire year while there wasn’t room to breath during Redemption. ]

4th slot:

Volbeat- Muahhahah. I am the evil scientist with balls the size of grapefruit. People can bitch all they want and I will still say…muhahahahah. Yes, they are the oddball. I think they are one of the best bands on the planet and will destroy the place. I can see a bunch of people standing there for a few songs not knowing what the hell hit them and then having a blast by the end of the show. Does that sound like any other oddball band I have booked over the past few years *cough*FK*cough.* What some of you may not know is that they are a platinum selling artist overseas that outsell major record label bands in certain countries. Their record label is looking to expand into the U.S. next year and they will push them hard. These guys have more of a chance for commercial success here in the States than any band that has ever been on the ProgPower USA roster.

Iron Savior- We can’t have a festival without some quality European style speed metal. They have been around a while and *earned* their status.

5th slot:

Riverside- Whether you like them or not, you cannot deny their massive crossover appeal. They actually sell more records in the States in the past few years than all of the ones I have just listed *combined.*

Jon Oliva’s Pain- Legend. Period.

Headliners:

1- Power metal- Will cement the progpower name.

2. Power/prog- I am exploring a few options here. There will be no controversy though.

Time will tell if I'm right....

I've been listening to tunes from all these bands since yesterday afternoon and I like all of it. Most of it sounds like Progressive Power Metal. A lot of these bands mix elements of both very well.

Just out of curiosity.. are the bands listed in order of days to play or was it just on a whim?

EX: Will Spheric Universe Experience play friday and Elvenking Saturday, or am i reading WAY too much into this?

Elvenking: Small, but DEVOTED fanbase

Got that right. We're growing all the time. ;)

I'm good. As soon as I saw VolBeat on the list, I did not need to read anything else. See you there!

Pat... you need the first album, too!!!

I actually bought 3 CDs of bands announced on Friday mostly because of hearing positive comments about them for some time. From what I've heard of everyone else, the roster looks awesome so far. Not even two headliners I hate could drop my spirits. They'd just let me get some more drink/sleep time in.

Glenn you are the shiznit. This list is wonderful. You constantly do things that make this festival the great success that it is. Just when i thought Saturday night could not be topped, you come up with this. Great work.....again!

I think this line up kicks ass, and I'd be totally satisfied with it without any headlining bands. Whoever those end up being will only make it better. There's not a band on the roster that I will miss.

Glenn, I doubt you could see us, but Mary and I were yelling like mad during all the announcements. Mary was especially vocal for Serenity. And I've wanted to see Andromeda and Riverside for years.

I, for one, cannot wait for next year's show. You did good.

dt

I am surprised at a couple of things:

1)JOP isn't one of the headliners. I was simply floored when I read this.

2) Elvenking is only a #2? I pegged them at 4

3) Well, Angra is going to be one of the headliners. I have a feeling you either a) Roped in Dio, or B) Roped in Hammerfall. I am leaning towards Dio.

I thought I would offer a bit of perspective on next year’s roster. I hope this helps cut down on the second guessing (aka bitching) not only here, but on other forums as well.

The 'inside the thought process' posts always rock, man - and we always appreciate the insight.

*The bigger names on the roster are prog-oriented at the moment. That is why I’m catching so much heat from the powerheads. The roster will be balanced out with the power headliners. In the words of Ron White, “Diamonds….that ought to shut her up.” Patience.

Don't doubt it
(but do know you've made the prog oriented folks quite happy :)

I have announced this not only a year in advance of the show, but 5 months in front of ticket sales. That gives you plenty of time to do your homework. I think a few of you are going to feel *much* better once you actually listen to the music of those that you don’t know.

Hell yeah - this happened to me a few years ago when I was definitely thinking 'Circus WHO?' and Dreamscape WHAT?....' :kickass:
Now some of my fav bands

*It’s 12 bands, not 10.

<<<SPOOOGE>>>

:lol:
:headbang:

Spheric Universe Experience: Well known in the prog circles. Power fans will not care and say they are a nobody. This is just about the exact same situation as Dreamscape a few years ago. That turned out just fine.

Hah! I always buy a few cds 'blind' at Lance's table every year. Realized this morning I had grabbed 'Mental Torments' :kickass:

.....while there wasn’t room to breath during Redemption.

because Nik and Ray and the boys destroyed
:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Riverside- Whether you like them or not, you cannot deny their massive crossover appeal. They actually sell more records in the States in the past few years than all of the ones I have just listed *combined.*

These guys just have this CRAZY crossing-all-boundaries appeal. Folks on both sides of the fence love 'em and I would drive the ten hours up JUST to see them. (and that is nuts about the album sales numbers - I had NO clue)

Rivewrside is definitely my main highlight right now for next year and INCREDIBLY appreciated that you grabbed them for the fest

(then again, I think I pledged you my first born when you announced the CONCEPTION reunion.... so you pretty much have unlimited credit with that SINGLE booking...... :lol:)

Headliners:

1- Power metal- Will cement the progpower name.

2. Power/prog- I am exploring a few options here. There will be no controversy though.

VERY interested and can't wait:kickass:

Time will tell if I'm right....

Another sell-out coming...... :headbang:

BTW - the video 'trailer' for '08 was just brilliant - great way of intro-ing the lineup and it was really well put together.

And lemme throw in how amazing this past weekend was... and all because of you, bro. Its my holy pilgrimage north every year :D

Glenn, thank you for this. I will not pass judgment on this lineup until I have heard of all the bands, that would just be stupid. Granted I am only familar with 4 of the bands so far, but that will change. I will check with the ones that go to PP with my wife and I every year to see what cds they might have. I was thinking the lineup sounded very Prog heavy so far and weas hoping you would say the headliners would be Power metal bands.

As I always make widely known, I cannot stand power metal, but that'll never stop me from coming (except for those "life happens" times like this year) as long as there are at least 2 to 3 bands I really want to see, and getting to see friends that I don't see that often always makes PP a good time. As you know Andromeda is at the top of this list of bands to see, and Riverside is icing on the cake. Being a Tampa boy it's always cool to see Jon Oliva though we do get to see local shows every year. Symphony X as the prog/power band on Saturday would put it even more over the top for me. I missed PPIV and they never make it to Florida on their headlining tours. I've liked SX for awhile, but Paradise Lost to me is their best album, even better than Divine Wings or V. I really missed being there this year, and missing Redemption :cry:, FK, AF, Threshold, and Communic really sucked.

4th slot:

Volbeat- Muahhahah. I am the evil scientist with balls the size of grapefruit. People can bitch all they want and I will still say…muhahahahah. Yes, they are the oddball. I think they are one of the best bands on the planet and will destroy the place. I can see a bunch of people standing there for a few songs not knowing what the hell hit them and then having a blast by the end of the show. Does that sound like any other oddball band I have booked over the past few years *cough*FK*cough.* What some of you may not know is that they are a platinum selling artist overseas that outsell major record label bands in certain countries. Their record label is looking to expand into the U.S. next year and they will push them hard. These guys have more of a chance for commercial success here in the States than any band that has ever been on the ProgPower USA roster.

I was already familiar with all of these bands except this one and Riverside! You are definitely on to something here. I was doing some research on the internet, checking out Volbeat (eMusic has their first album, for example). After listening to the sample on eMusic, I thought these guys definitly kicked ass. I'd suggest people on here to at least look them up on Wikipedia, and they will quickly see that these guys are way outselling many of the big-name bands from the big-name labels. If they get pushed here in the USA and become the big talk of the street, at we will get to say, "Yeah - saw them in Atlanta at ProgPower before they become "big!". :kickass: At the very least, I'll definitely grab their first album off of eMusic when my account resets itself. I think this one will be a barn-burner for sure!

I think he meant missing all those bands sucked not that he thought all those bands sucked.