Perspective on the new roster

The Serenity disc is gorgeous. I don't know if it was released outside of the US before 07, but it's headed for a very high spot on my best-of-year list.

My new prediction for the headliner is: Ari Koivunen... (That Finland Idol winner...) I don't know/think I'd like this based on my hatred of popularity contests. But considering his sales numbers and lack of exposure here... it might work from Glenn's business standpoint. Actually, I'm not right because he only has one album and well that's not enough material. But in the future....... showcase?

Last edited by a moderator:
My new prediction for the headliner is: Ari Koivunen... (That Finland Idol winner...) I don't know/think I'd like this based on my hatred of popularity contests. But considering his sales numbers and lack of exposure here... it might work from Glenn's business standpoint. Actually, I'm not right because he only has one album and well that's not enough material. But in the future....... showcase?

Maybe a longshot for a showcase. His voice isn't what you'd call the greatest thing in the world (too high pitched). Many people wouldn't like him.

I think he's pretty good and with a little bit of help from established bands, he may have a shot at the big time. But you'd also find many people who'd run out the door when he came on stage.

Now as to VOLBEAT, this I think is the best choice of the whole festival and the placement is perfect. I just checked their Myspace page(yeah they are in my top 20) they have over 585,000 plays of the 4 songs listed, and over 1200 just for today. I guess that tells you something. These guys are going to be the next FREAK KITCHEN count on it.

My hat is off to you Glenn for making this choice.

I thought I would offer a bit of perspective on next year’s roster. I hope this helps cut down on the second guessing (aka bitching) not only here, but on other forums as well.

*I really think people are looking at the roster as complete now instead of remembering that I have not announced the two headliners. These will be unquestioned headliners instead of borderline or “creating a headliner situation” next year. I always wonder how much of a difference it would be to the first impression if the biggest draw was announced first.

*At the moment, I only have a single repeat band (yes, I am counting Oliva as a repeat). Elevating new talent is essential as there have not been many bands over the past couple of years to take a step up. So it becomes a damned if you do..damned if you don’t situation.

*The bigger names on the roster are prog-oriented at the moment. That is why I’m catching so much heat from the powerheads. The roster will be balanced out with the power headliners. In the words of Ron White, “Diamonds….that ought to shut her up.” Patience.

*I have announced this not only a year in advance of the show, but 5 months in front of ticket sales. That gives you plenty of time to do your homework. I think a few of you are going to feel *much* better once you actually listen to the music of those that you don’t know.

*It’s 12 bands, not 10. So if you don’t like 2 of them, then re-evaluate the roster without those names on it in your own mind AFTER the headliners are announced. You can get back to me then.

*I don’t expect anyone to agree with me on anything. It’s up to me to make some tough decisions. I’ll find out if I did “ok” once tickets go on sale.

As for the bands themselves:

Openers:

I wanted a hybrid approach on both bands.

Pathosray- The album just came off the presses last week. Nobody knows them. Same thing happened with Circus Maximus a few years ago and that turned out just fine.

Serenity: Released one of the best debuts in recent memory. They will appeal to both sides of the coin. Trust me.

2nd Slot:

Spheric Universe Experience: Well known in the prog circles. Power fans will not care and say they are a nobody. This is just about the exact same situation as Dreamscape a few years ago. That turned out just fine.

Elvenking: Small, but DEVOTED fanbase that will be the ultimate street team for a band on this roster. Older fans will enjoy the folk aspect while new fans will enjoy their new Nocturnal Rites style. The new album just came out so it needs time for word of mouth to spread.

3rd slot:

Astral Doors- Album of the month in most major European magazines for two consecutive releases, opened for Blind Guardian all across Europe, sales of each album are trending upwards, headline tour of Europe this year. Melodic power that balances things nicely.

Andromeda: You knew it was going to happen. I was just waiting for one more release. Will go over huge with the Redemption/Threshold fans. Once again, power fans will *yawn.* However, those were the same ones that screamed at me when I put Virgin Steele in a 2nd slot this year. They had the emptiest floor of the entire year while there wasn’t room to breath during Redemption. ]

4th slot:

Volbeat- Muahhahah. I am the evil scientist with balls the size of grapefruit. People can bitch all they want and I will still say…muhahahahah. Yes, they are the oddball. I think they are one of the best bands on the planet and will destroy the place. I can see a bunch of people standing there for a few songs not knowing what the hell hit them and then having a blast by the end of the show. Does that sound like any other oddball band I have booked over the past few years *cough*FK*cough.* What some of you may not know is that they are a platinum selling artist overseas that outsell major record label bands in certain countries. Their record label is looking to expand into the U.S. next year and they will push them hard. These guys have more of a chance for commercial success here in the States than any band that has ever been on the ProgPower USA roster.

Iron Savior- We can’t have a festival without some quality European style speed metal. They have been around a while and *earned* their status.

5th slot:

Riverside- Whether you like them or not, you cannot deny their massive crossover appeal. They actually sell more records in the States in the past few years than all of the ones I have just listed *combined.*

Jon Oliva’s Pain- Legend. Period.

Headliners:

1- Power metal- Will cement the progpower name.

2. Power/prog- I am exploring a few options here. There will be no controversy though.

Time will tell if I'm right....

Very cool of you to post this Glenn! Dig hearing your perspective on the band selection. IMO, you consistently put on the best metal fesitval in the US, with many of the most creative and talented bands around; if people don't trust you by now, well that's just too bad for them. Adding Riverside is a masterstroke. While they've been there before and aren't likely to be your choices for that reason alone, my personal requests for the two empty slots are PAGAN'S MIND, CIRCUS MAXIMUS and SYMPHONY X. No matter who you pick, I'm quite certain they'll kick ass! Finally, congrats on a damn fine show this year for PPUSA8! From which I'm still recovering...:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Here's one for you Glenn! :kickass:

When I heard the announcement, obviously I was excited about Jon Oliva's Pain, but isn't 2008 supposed to be the year of the Savatage 25th anniversary reunion? We might be getting some special guests for this set.

As for the other bands, I've been meaning to check out Iron Savior more ever since I discovered Savage Circus. This will give me the opportunity. I'm familliar with Astral Doors as I have one of their albums. Just make sure that Nils (who also sings for Wuthering Heights) keeps his shirt on this time!:lol: While I've never heard Elvenking or Riverside before, I'm familliar with the names because so many people on the forum are always talking about them. I liked the clip of Elvenking from the announcement video so I'll be checking them out. As for Riverside, I'll check them out too. I'm all for having them in the lineup if it increases the chance of Enchant (whom I loved at BARFest) playing this fest. The rest I've never heard of but Glenn has never steered me wrong yet. We all have our homework assignments.

As for the headliners being big name power and power/prog bands, that works for me. Can't wait to find out who it is. Helloween & Gamma Ray would work for me (with a special Kai/Helloween jam):headbang: Not sure if Glenn wants to chance Helloween after what they pulled on BW&BK though. Iced Earth and/or HammerFall would also be cool.

I hope it's not Symphony X just because I want them to headline/be at ProgPower USA X.

Also, and I can't believe no one's mentioned this yet (in this post anyway), lets not forget there's also the Showcase. Shane could always book a few big/more well known names (Nocturnal Rites!!!!) for that as well. Technically that makes it 6 bands that haven't been announced yet.

Prog greetings all. Returning from ProgPower VIII always has it's mixed emotions for me - no Vanden Plas which sucked bigtime (nuf said), missing the interactions with band members (as well as the awesome performances), and yet, a relief to get home and get my ears back to normal :headbang: ProgPower is truly a memorable experience that keeps me wanting to come back again.

I do have to say, I purchased a shit load of more CDs for my internet web stream and the most impressive new find is PATHOSRAY!. This is going to be a great addtion to next year's lineup (TRUST ME DAMN IT). As Circus Maximus was in the past couple of years, I predict Pathosray to be right up there as a truly awesome find!

BTW --- DO checkout these great finds: Division by Zero, ETERNAL FLIGHT (good chit), and from close by where I live, Dimension ("Ego") -- playing on my stream.

As a web radio streamer, I have to say that with SO MANY GREAT bands out there that could easily fit the show's criteria, my hat is OFF to Glenn for doing a such a great "herculean" job of pulling together the talent worthy of ProgPower. Thank you Glenn for all your hard work and making those tough decisions that ONLY YOU have to do!!!

SO -- Tune in at your Progleisure -- Hopefully you'll hear some of next year's lineup PLUS a few other surprises on my stream. www.ProgRockandMetal.net

WARM PROG REGARDS --- BILL (Progman55) MANGOLD

Glenn,

To be perfectly honest, I own all of Jon's discs, but as for the rest of the artists on your roster, I own nothing. It's not really by choice, because I can't honestly say that I've sampled anything from these bands. There's just so much out their to be explored and to be purchased that a normal person on a normal budget, such as myself, just can't pull it off. In a way, I feel like the festival roster is leaving me behind. I'm not bitching, but just stating a fact regarding my personal situation.

With all that being said, I must be what you call a mainstream progpower fan. In other words, I have certain bands that I'm loyal to and I explore very little due to time and money. Just from what little I know at this time about these bands I believe I could get into Volbeat, Iron Saviour, Elvenking, and of course Astral Doors.

For the past four years I've attended your festival and feel like I haven't had to branch out too much from my knowledge of the bands on the rosters. From the looks of the new lineup I'll have to branch out and dig a lot. This is just my personal perspective, which is what you've asked for. I'm in no way implying that anyone else should feel like I do.

~Brian~

From the looks of the new lineup I'll have to branch out and dig a lot.
~Brian~

Many people said the same thing around PP VII's roster. Obviously, that roster did not sell-out (by a whopping 6 tickets). I want to follow that pattern every few years and challenge the audience. I believe the festival name is strong enough to do that now.

Also, I have already booked most of the "name" bands in our genres. There aren't too many bands stepping up on their own for various factors. If this festival is to survive, it cannot repeat the same bands over and over just because of name recognition.

Besides, the headliners will be "name" bands and help the average person towards making the decision to attend.

Now as to VOLBEAT, this I think is the best choice of the whole festival and the placement is perfect. I just checked their Myspace page(yeah they are in my top 20) they have over 585,000 plays of the 4 songs listed, and over 1200 just for today. I guess that tells you something. These guys are going to be the next FREAK KITCHEN count on it.

My hat is off to you Glenn for making this choice.

really? the next Freak Kitchen? i like Freak Kitchen because of their sense of humor and how it shows in everything they do, and also because of the kinds of ridiculous sounds Mattias can pull out of the guitar without any effects. honestly i don't think it's a good comparison, and i'm not a fan of what little i've heard from Volbeat (the songs on their myspace).

if anyone has recommendations for better songs to check out, i'll give them a shot, and if i go to PPUSA IX, i'll probably check them out for at least a song or two, but based on what i've heard so far, i think they'll give me an opportunity to eat or check out the vendor room or something.

You can go to Rhapsody.com and use your free 25 songs per month to listen to Volbeat's entire first album. While you are at it you can listen to Serenity's as well. Serenity is misplaced, but its the one under 'Funk Rock.' And I agree with you in part. I don't completely get the Volbeat-FK comparision . I know its not a 'sound' comparision, but I don't get it. I like Volbeat, but they aren't exactly a band that seems to have that natural humor in their music, nor the insane innovation/technical abilities. Maybe its just that they are both the 'oddballs' and the expectation that they will go over very well with the crowd.

Many people said the same thing around PP VII's roster. Obviously, that roster did not sell-out (by a whopping 6 tickets). I want to follow that pattern every few years and challenge the audience. I believe the festival name is strong enough to do that now.

Also, I have already booked most of the "name" bands in our genres. There aren't too many bands stepping up on their own for various factors. If this festival is to survive, it cannot repeat the same bands over and over just because of name recognition.

Besides, the headliners will be "name" bands and help the average person towards making the decision to attend.

I actually thought about PPVII when typing my first post. For the most part I wasn't too familiar with that lineup either. It's a hard pill for me to swallow, but I believe I'm just a casual progpower fan compared to a lot of your attendees. With that said, compared to the average Joe Blow out on the street, I'm probably fairly musically enlightened though. It's a weird thing. :loco:

~Brian~

Glenn, I think that Astral Doors is going to be a future headliner of ProgPower. I haven't heard their new one... but say... one more after that and I think they'll do it. Especially after this appereance. This band is just so damn good with songs that are great to sing to and enjoy. And they have everything going their way right now...

Just for Astral Doors it worths for me to go, Iron Savior is a nice bonus nevertheless although I'm not fan of them. Elvenking may be also fun to see. As for headliners in the power section in a certain way I will not like: Helloween, Hammerfall or Angra since I already see them all live, but I kill for Wolf, Blind Guardian, Pharaoh, Steel Prophet, Phantom-X or Omen, Crescent Shield, Iced Earth, Evil Masquerade, Adramelch, Iron Maiden or Heaven & Hell :lol: For the prog headlining: The Flower Kings, The Tangent, Rush, Dream Theater, Amaran's Plight

Since you already have the roster there's no point in recommendations but I nevertheles will throw some names in the field of bands that recently have caught my ears: Darkwater, Scale The Summit, Collusion, Final Stage

Titanium Black - 'Cracks Of Light'

Since you already have the roster there's no point in recommendations but I nevertheles will throw some names in the field of bands that recently have caught my ears: Darkwater

Second!

My band is actually playing a gig with these guys in Oslo, Norway next month. I've been spinning the cd all morning - wow!! What a great band!

I would say they are almost atmospheric prog metal - really good stuff.

:headbang:

Link - www.darkwater.se

Second!

My band is actually playing a gig with these guys in Oslo, Norway next month. I've been spinning the cd all morning - wow!! What a great band!

I would say they are almost atmospheric prog metal - really good stuff.

:headbang:

Link - www.darkwater.se

Third!

I picked up this cd at the Nightmare table over the weekend and it is hot. :headbang:

I actually thought about PPVII when typing my first post. For the most part I wasn't too familiar with that lineup either. It's a hard pill for me to swallow, but I believe I'm just a casual progpower fan compared to a lot of your attendees. With that said, compared to the average Joe Blow out on the street, I'm probably fairly musically enlightened though. It's a weird thing. :loco:

~Brian~

Dude, I know less about most of the bands than you. Every year since PP4 there have been no less than 7 bands I've never heard of. That fact has never kept me from coming and enjoying the music and the atmosphere immensely. Rarely will I do much research before I come either, and just listen blind.

Volbeat- Muahhahah. I am the evil scientist with balls the size of grapefruit. People can bitch all they want and I will still say…muhahahahah. Yes, they are the oddball. I think they are one of the best bands on the planet and will destroy the place.

When they came up in Justin's video, I was the one sceaming "GLENN YOU FUCKIN' RULE!!!" :) They WILL destroy the place, mark my words too.

These guys have more of a chance for commercial success here in the States than any band that has ever been on the ProgPower USA roster.
I'd really love for this to come to light, obviously, but over the last few years the bands we discuss on these boards that have achieved mainstream success have been the ones I would have least expected. I would have thought Threshold would have tons of mainstream appeal, but if the folks at PP3 who were talking about Dragonforce in the lobby of the Fairfield had told me how big they were going to be I would have died laughing.

As much as I love Volbeat, I honestly didn't know their records were going multi-platinum in Europe. Very nice.

--T.J.