Perspective on the new roster

I'm the official Riverside fanboy of the forum

I think Burke might have a thing or two to say about that....

In fact, I have to put my Riverside disks away, (as in, back in the jewel cases and into a storage box) because when I start playing a disk, it will stay in my car or pc for weeks. Literally.

PATHOSRAY

will

SLAY!
:worship:

We listened to their cd while driving back from PP. We were all like WTF!!!!!! We were absolutely blown away with this one, so do whatever you have to do to check these guys out.

I think Volbeat is going to kick ass all over the place. Probably the most oddball band in the history of oddball bands, but if their live peformance lives up to the image I have in my mind already (Social Distortion goes metal), I am going to be throwing the horns and banging my head like a maniac.
When I read the line up and started checking out the bands for myself, Volbeat was the only one that piqued my interest...except of course the Mountain King, but that is a given for me. I thought to myself, if Glenn is into these guys can someone like the Carburetors be in the cards for a future PP.:lol: I would love it, but not sure how they would go over with others.

Hey all - yep I was the loudest screamer when Serenity was announced - their CD stayed in my car stereo for three or four weeks straight - LOVE THEM!!!

Glenn, I am thrilled with the lineup for PP IX - no matter who the headliners are, I am so STOKED to see 8 of the 10 you announced and I'll give the other two some listening time in the year ahead (LOL!). Every year the PP lineup is amazing, and I think next year will even top THIS year's show. Kudos! :headbang:

Yo Burke - another huge (screamed almost as loud and long for them as I did for Serenity, LOL!) Riverside fan here too...and I chuckled when I read the 'lighter than Enchant' comment...whoever said that probably doesn't know either band's music very well, as I know you do! :) (and so do I, and so does Dave!!) :lol:

Every time I get to seee Jon Oliva is a bigger thrill than the last, knowing it might be the last time! :D

PP IX is going to blow the doors off any other festival next year - hand down, case closed.

Cheerios, all!

?? He was saying missing all those bands sucked not that the bands sucked. Then again, my sarcasm radar is on the fritz.

My bad... :erk: I went and re-read what he said (I guess I was still recovering from the totally awesome weekend we just experienced!).

Yeah, that does suck that he did miss those bands, as they truly did put on one hell of a performance!

I was nodding in satisfaction during Pathosray, never heard of Serenity, about fell out of my seat and tumbled down the auditorium during Spheric Universe Experience (!! No words...!), I don't remember much after that from freaking out except Andromeda and IRON F**KING SAVIOR!!!! Just kidding.. JOP is cool, VolBeat I still have to check out, ditto on Serenity, Astral Doors is a terrific addition (I think Glenn's been reading my notes) :lol: and Elvenking and Riverside are growing on me, eventhough I told Milton that they make me fall asleep. :lol: Actually, if Riverside makes the cut maybe Hubi Meisel will one day! :)

Already, this is my favorite line-up of all time! Glenn, I applaud you! As always.. :worship:

Hey Mare,

It was great seeing you and Dave, as always! We will meet for lunch sometime soon!

OK, I've never heard of Serenity, but with your glowing recoemmendation, I'm quite intrigued. I have learned over the years that it is best to experience the live show, before making the final judgement. Even though I tend to forget that at times myself.

At PP1, I was up next to the stage the entire night next to Gonzo. I still remember asking him who Evergrey was! :lol: Now as I sit here and type, I'm wearing an Evergrey shirt. I couldn't stand Freak Kitchen's CDs, but JayDub has been talking about them so long as was so happy when they got added last year, that I had to check out the set. If for no other reason, to see how happy a good friend was to finally live his dream. By the time FK's set was done, I was a HUGE fan and immediately went back out to Ken's table and pruchased 6 FK CDs. This year, they were one of the bands I anticapated the most! Go figure! This year, the only reason I set foot in the room for After Forever was because Barb likes female fronted bands and I also wanted to hear her voice and the fact that she's hot doesn't make it too difficult either. ;) I really, really enjoyed their set. Not a fanboy, didn't go out and purchase CDs (yet), but enjoyed them enough to want to see them again.

There is no doubt in my mind that I won't discover some awesome bands again next year. Funny that you mention Riverside and Enchant, because I didn't post that, but I have that EXACT thought and I am VERY familiar with Enchant and have listened to Riverside's two most-recent albums multiple times and while they have heavy sections, overall they are more mellow. I'm sure I will enjoy them though. My only thing with it is the whining I've heard in the past about Enchant being too soft, I really find there music to have MUCH more energy. So I find it a surprise that they are so popular on this forum when Enchant is too soft.

Personally, I find the lineup to be very well balanced (including the headliners), it is just more up and comers this year. It does keep things fresh this way and we discover that there are more bands than everyone's favorite prog band and everyone's favorite power band.

As far as Jon Oliva goes, he is awesome as an artist AND as a person. After hanging out some @ PP4, BAR Fest, and this year; he is undoubtedly one of the nicest, coolest people out there. Barb went nuts over the JOP announcement, so I know she's happy too!

I'm glad that I bought the Pathosray disk blindly now so I can more familiar with them. I had been hearing too much about them and asked Ken if he thought I'd like them - I bought the disk. Listened a couple of times on the way home. Itsounded good, but I think it is going to be one of those disks that need to ferment.

Hey all - yep I was the loudest screamer when Serenity was announced - their CD stayed in my car stereo for three or four weeks straight - LOVE THEM!!!

Glenn, I am thrilled with the lineup for PP IX - no matter who the headliners are, I am so STOKED to see 8 of the 10 you announced and I'll give the other two some listening time in the year ahead (LOL!). Every year the PP lineup is amazing, and I think next year will even top THIS year's show. Kudos! :headbang:

Yo Burke - another huge (screamed almost as loud and long for them as I did for Serenity, LOL!) Riverside fan here too...and I chuckled when I read the 'lighter than Enchant' comment...whoever said that probably doesn't know either band's music very well, as I know you do! :) (and so do I, and so does Dave!!) :lol:

Every time I get to seee Jon Oliva is a bigger thrill than the last, knowing it might be the last time! :D

PP IX is going to blow the doors off any other festival next year - hand down, case closed.

Cheerios, all!

It ain't happening, but I'd love to see Shadow Gallery headline one of these things in the future.

As for realistic headliners, I'd be all over Iced Earth & Edguy. Just for one of those two it'd be worth attending in my mind, not counting the fantastic lineup already announced.

ProgPower VI had a great lineup, but it was the presence of Therion that made myself & buddy get tickets to fly out from Texas. (The week after we had booked & paid for the ProgPower trip, Therion announced their first US tour and a date in Fort Worth a week or so after their Prog Power appearance. We went to that one too.)

I'm even more stoked after listening to Riverside's Rapid Eye Movement
This will be probably up there with Conception as the best progpower performance

Did you get the new CD yet
Holy shit,I have had the title track on repeat for the last 3 days.
I'll buy Glenn a case of Jack Daniels if he gets them to play that song

Yeah, I've had it for a while, but bought the special edition this past weekend. It's a superb CD, as good as the other two.

Man, that title track sure as hell rocks. But when I saw Riverside at Nearfest, they didn't play Loose Heart nor Volte-Face. Glenn, can you please help me out by suggesting them in an amicable way to play these two songs? PLEASE?