Perspective on the new roster

Also, I have already booked most of the "name" bands in our genres.

Really? I totally disagree with that sentiment. Pretty Maids, Tiamat, Gotthard, Grave Digger, Running Wild, Nocturnal Rites, Morgana Lefay, Apocalyptica, Subway To Sally, Helloween, Masterplan, Dragonforce, Manowar, Rhapsody, Poisonblack, Deathstars, Iced Earth, U.D.O., Saxon, Leaves Eyes, Axel Rudi Pell, Tarot, Lullacry.....

Aside from Pretty Maids and Tiamat, this isn't a "Want-list", this is just a list to illustrate my idea that I think it's really unnecessary to pull completely from the "sides of the barrel" at this point. For years we've all heard how "I can't risk this band" or "this band isn't enough draw" and now all of a sudden this year's roster is FILLED with bands just like that. It's too much and quite possibly too much even in light of "big" headliners. Remember, this costs a couple in the region of $300 for tix, $200+ for rooms, $200+ for travel, $100ish for decent eats, etc etc. It's the balance that I feel will keep this festival alive and well. If this turns into ProgPower Europe, well then, that's a bit of trouble, I think, stateside. You don't need repeats to have success, but you do have to have some established performers to make the value equal the cost. Hell, our folks won't even drop $10 on a cd they don't know. And now this year you're asking them to drop $500+ on bands that FEW know? It's tough, man, it's tough. But it's your festival and I always wish you luck. I'm still hoping to be won over by the headliners but after checking out the bands (and only Volbeat and Iron Savior offering some palpable interest to me personally) I'm thinking that I just may need something bigger than what's actually out there. I'd love any of these bands mixed with the big boys but all at once I think it's too much.

I think personal taste and familiarity is jading your opinion. This roster so far is not geared towards exactly the type of band you are listing. Most of the bands you listed have ties to power metal or fringe goth/black/oddball only. Plus there are a few that wouldn't draw squat (i.e. Leaves Eyes) or would have a half -full venue (Gotthard ala the PC69 effect). Other than obvious ones like Helloween, Dragonforce, and Iced Earth, are you aware that Riverside outsells them all in the States? Andromeda and SUE are the names that have prog fans excited. Right now, the lineup is geared towards the prog crowd. I'll admit it. However, I'm not done.

I heard the same complaint about PP VII in terms of the "unknown" factor and that it would not sell. They were right as I missed out by 6 tickets. I can live with that again. However I haven't even announced the headliners to balance things, especially in terms of power or draw.

Trust me. I don't think I've let anyone down yet.

You know at first I said I was baffled with the PP9 lineup because I lean more toward the power side of things especially, but now after the "shock" has worn off, I'm excited about checking out some new bands that I'm not really familiar with. I should've never even posted that comment about being baffled because I have total faith in Glenn who hasn't failed me yet. I know the last two headliners will fucking rip. Glenn, I'm sorry.

Just to voice an opinion on PC69 and other 'half venue' bands. I'm glad they are booked. Screw everybody. I loved PC69. Had a great time watching them. I had no clue who they were going in. I don't think ya should avoid it, because its probably bands like PC69 that help you sell 50 tickets for a certain type of crowd, even if many others decide not to watch them.

Just to voice an opinion on PC69 and other 'half venue' bands. I'm glad they are booked. Screw everybody. I loved PC69. Had a great time watching them. I had no clue who they were going in. I don't think ya should avoid it, because its probably bands like PC69 that help you sell 50 tickets for a certain type of crowd, even if many others decide not to watch them.

PC69 was one of the bands I really wanted to see that year, so it was good for me as well.

One thing that I've always thought was missing from ProgPower that I usually got from festivals like NEARFest was the sense of discovery. I'm always more about the bands I don't know rather than the ones I do know. All the known ones do for me is give me some known quantities.

For the first time, it looks like we have a lineup like one I'd expect from a festival like NEARFest. While there are some known quantities in there, there are also bands that are awaiting my discovery. I look forward to it.

Jason

I think personal taste and familiarity is jading your opinion. This roster so far is not geared towards exactly the type of band you are listing. Most of the bands you listed have ties to power metal or fringe goth/black/oddball only. Plus there are a few that wouldn't draw squat (i.e. Leaves Eyes) or would have a half -full venue (Gotthard ala the PC69 effect). Other than obvious ones like Helloween, Dragonforce, and Iced Earth, are you aware that Riverside outsells them all in the States? Andromeda and SUE are the names that have prog fans excited. Right now, the lineup is geared towards the prog crowd. I'll admit it. However, I'm not done.

I heard the same complaint about PP VII in terms of the "unknown" factor and that it would not sell. They were right as I missed out by 6 tickets. I can live with that again. However I haven't even announced the headliners to balance things, especially in terms of power or draw.

I wasn't even aware Riverside were even well known around world, let alone outselling all those bands in the States.

Seeing Riverside, Andromeda, and SUE in the prime of their careers already has this as one of my favorite line ups ever, a solid headliner and it'll easily surpass all others.
:worship:notworthy

I have yet to make an opinion on the lineup,because as Glenn says...He's not done yet.When I heard Pathosray I thought,hmmmmm,this is gonna be interesting.As we went down through the bands,I kept waiting for two or three names to bite me in the ass...S.U.E...no....Volbeat...no....Elvenking...no...ahhhhhhhh....JOPain...cool. Overall I haven't really thought about next year yet,because all it would take is something such as Helloween with Kiske,Kamelot,Sieges Even (yeah I know I'm dreaming),Fates Warning with John Arch,Nightwish...anything can happen with those final 2 slots and the world will be right again.
I trust that Glenn will nail down something amazing,and even if he fails to do so,its his show! He has the right to take chances whether we like 'em or not,and the ProgPower experience is not just about the bands anyways...its an EXPERIENCE...

a'ight. I'm just sayin'. I know you're going to sell well because it's established. This won't kill you. It just sorta negates your past view of "risk bands". I'm sure Riverside sells more than those other bands listed just as you said. But will it translate into concert attendance interest at a higher pricepoint? I hope it does for you and we'll have to let time prove you right!

As for the PC69 thing (and to a previous comment about Virgin Steele's "floor attendance" as well), it worries me that I feel a tone of "well, we tried X and it wasn't as good as I wanted so that's that". Gotthard, for example, is the same TYPE of music but it's not THE SAME BAND. I'd caution about lumping bands into 1 large group based on 1 band's live performance. Gotthard is NOT PC69 just like Kiss is not Frehley's Comet and Redemption is NOT Spiral Architect. Likewise, Virgin Steele is NOT every classic band.

Gotthard, for example, is the same TYPE of music but it's not THE SAME BAND. I'd caution about lumping bands into 1 large group based on 1 band's live performance. Gotthard is NOT PC69 just like Kiss is not Frehley's Comet and Redemption is NOT Spiral Architect. Likewise, Virgin Steele is NOT every classic band.

Dude, you must be a mega power head and not like prog very much...

Kiss is not Frehley's Comet, but they're real close.... but comparing Redemption and Spiral Architect like that?? That's a little like saying "Bach is not Slayer". :lol:

I'm with Glenn on this one Woosta. I haven't heard of probably 18 of the 23 bands you listed, have seen 1 of them live, and listened to about 3 of them on CD. I also think you're stretching with Leaves Eye's due to the amount of h8 they garnashed themselves for sucking during all the recent tours they've done in the US.. opening for bigger, better bands. Yah sure, there's some bands in that list I'd like to see, don't doubt, but as it stands now, I'm looking forward to 3 bands this year, and was terribly excited for 2 of them from the get-go. Thats more than I can say for most progpower's past .. I don't do much looking into bands before the fest, and I certainly and admittedly suffer from a terrible lack of knowladge of bands based on people in this forum, which is why I'm always in a constant state of "who?" ... but I think, seeing what I've seen and hearing what I've heard from the masses, that this is going to be a lot of fun this coming year for a lot of people.

Ok, don't all pile on me after this post, as I probably (I'd bet my cats pajamas on this post I did miss previous threads/posts on this) wasn't privy to past discussions, but how does, say, Queensryche, Dream Theater, Tiles, Enchant, and/or Fates Warning fit into the ProgPower potential future headliner database? I'm sure QR, being a major label and high profile (for metal/prog genre - regardless of our opinion of their recent output) are a no-brainer in the "definitely not possible" category, but I'm still curious.

Glen? Bueller?

PS: Rush... and I thought *I* was being grandiose in suggesting QR, lol!

I would think Fates Warning might be a doable band for PP!!

Absolutely! More so than Queensryche if you ask me. Especially if you consider Queensryche's last few albums (say the past 10 or 15 years). Ok, FWX or whatever it was called wasn't the greatest album in the world either, but with the stuff QR has put out, they shouldn't even be allowed to open the fest. :lol:

THey've never really responded to Glenn. But maybe Glenn talked to Ray. That would be a cool band to close Saturday with.

Doesn't matter to me who ends up headlining. Finally getting to see Riverside after waiting almost 3 years will be enough.

I remember in Glenn's "how it happened" post from either V or VI, that he queried Fates Warning and didn't get a response.

Of all the names Scott mentioned, Fates would get me the most excited. I think QR and DT are both too big for the fest. It's too easy to see them on their own tours. Fates on the other hand are still (unfair as it may be) fest-sized, especially as a headliner, plus in my opinion they have not had the quality problems that QR and DT have.

I'm willing to bet Adagio will be back after the release of their upcoming album; if they play as early as 2009 it'll have been 5 years and two albums since their previous appearance, and since they were an opener then, there's nowhere to go but up!

Of all the names Scott mentioned, Fates would get me the most excited. I think QR and DT are both too big for the fest. It's too easy to see them on their own tours. Fates on the other hand are still (unfair as it may be) fest-sized, especially as a headliner, plus in my opinion they have not had the quality problems that QR and DT have.

I'd pretty much have to agree - although I can't imagine why Metal Blade (wait, is Fates even signed to MB anymore? I thought they were now free agents?) wouldn't be game to "bequeath" Fates to the ProgPower fanatics.

This topic (specifically, Fates at ProgPower) might require a separate thread!

Other than obvious ones like Helloween, Dragonforce, and Iced Earth, are you aware that Riverside outsells them all in the States?

Glenn, I'm not disputing what you're saying, but this statement just blows me away. I could see Riverside possibly outselling Helloween over here, but Dragonforce and Iced Earth! :OMG:

Do you honestly think if Riverside headlined their own tour here, that they'd have the ticket sells that Iced Earth does? I'm just asking the question, because I honestly don't know.

~Brian~