Perspective on DeEvolution.

Virtual Scott

Allroundniceguy™ and Musical Mastermind.
Apr 12, 2006
Lost Angeles, CA
www.oceansofnight.com
I'm really enjoying the "ambient" aspect of this. Considering this Zero Hour with keyboards (like the original ZH material?) is really an over-simplification. In actuality, and don't let this scare you off, there are more "quiet" and low-key moments on this CD than any ZH disc... But there are at least 2-3 tracks that are, not surprisingly, very ZH in heaviness, song composition and style. So it's actually more akin to Zero Hour on mushrooms... :)

Ultimately, the lighter side of things and the low-key (ie: melodic/atmospheric) moments are highlights for me. The heavy tunes are great as well, but I'm really digging the sparseness and the lightness of the material in spots. ZH has alway had dynamics, and this is really no exception, only a bit more obvious. The vocals are way out front and with strong melodies, this is a good thing. And there's also shredding when required, but overall, it's a very solid, cohesive and song-oriented record to be listened to - not song by song - but as a whole, the entire way through.

My only qualm? It's too short. :)

I am really looking forward to this as I stopped listening to ZH when Salinas was chosen as the new singer (can't stand his vocals), but I really love all ZH work prior to his arrival, specially the previous singers.

Awesome Scott and thank you for the great review.

Here's another great review from a longtime listener Steve......Thank you for posting it places...AWESOME!!

It's been a while I haven't taken the time to start a thread for a new disc but this one is clearly worth it.

There are elements that are made to work together and this disc clearly demonstrates it. Erik Rosvold and the Tipton Brothers together are a clear proof that the sum of those 3 elements is clearly bigger than taken individually.

The magic found on the first few Zero Hour discs up to Towers is back. Rosvold is certainly in my top 5 best singers. His delivery is so emotional, his tone is pure magic and I love his writing as he's credited for all the lyrics. I certainly prefer his controlled singing over what Chris Salinas gave us. Don't get me wrong, Chris is a talented singer but he was too over the top for ZH and the singing seemed disconnected from the music at times. Here' it's a perfect sinergy.

Now, let's talk about the music. I'd say it's a mellower version of Zero Hour. There's more emphasis on melodies and it's certainly warmer than Towers was. There are some keys here and there to add atmosphere but they're in the background. As usual, the Tipton brothers are incredible. They're so talented it's scary. They can go from totally smooth to incredibly hectic and it feels effortless. The song Divided Day is a perfect example of that. This is the one song that I still have some difficulty digesting since it's just a crazy song going from smooth to thick and busy. Rosvold will sing over this craziness in a totally melodic way. You will also get some dreamy songs like Shallow World and some groovy moments with Edifice Grin. I haven't talked about the drumming yet but Sean Flanagan is certainly up to the task. His drumming can be insane at times and subtle when needed. He's a great addition to those guys. Add a clear and powerful production and you got a close to perfect disc.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I just love this disc and it shot from the first song to my #1 spot and I'm sure it'll stay there or close until the end of the year. If you like melodies, heaviness, atmosphere, awesome playing and singing, this is your ticket. A must for any fan of progmetal!!!

Steve

I'm trying to wait till I can order the Arch/Matheos album along with DeEvolution, but it's proving quite difficult...

Man, I love the stuff Chris did with the band. He's a totally different singer from Eric, but he fits in well. Chris did so good that I never missed Eric. I mean no offense by that, of course. I just think both fit perfectly with the music ZH was creating at that particular time, but for different reasons. They're both great.

And here on DeEvolution, I think you guys have really separated yourselves from Zero Hour and created something wholly it's own. Sure, there are similarities, but this one so cerebral and—dare I say?—beautiful. Eric, to my ears, even sounds different. There are new textures not present on past ZH albums.

Either way, Zero Hour, Cynthesis, Death Machine, it's all gold. Brilliant stuff. And am I wrong or is this some of Troy's best playing yet? I thought due to his injury he had to simplify things? I don't hear it. Haha.

Oh, and maybe I'm crazy, but in "Profits of Disaster," when it gets heavier...is anyone else reminded of "You Can Do Magic" by America? It's the vocal line that had me thinking that, reminds me of the "you know darn well when you cast your spell" part. Maybe I'm crazy. Haha.

I couldn't hold out any longer and ordered the album--great stuff. Given it four spins already today and it gets better every time. I know a lot has been said about how this album is a lot different than ZH, but I see it as a logical progression in style following The Towers of Avarice. The Zero Hour discography now has three wonderful albums in my eyes, and I don't mean to imply the other aren't good in their own right!

Edit: Jasun, I was reading the booklet just now and noticed you're endorsed by Mesa. Is that a Mark V I hear?

Thanks for making it :) I can't wait for ReEvolution. Regardless of amp (I have a Mark V I don't think I'll ever replace, but have to get a Dual Recto someday to sit under it for completion's sake), Dino makes whatever you guys are playing sound awesome as usual on this album! The Arch/Matheos reunion is really going to have some competition for album of the year after the Rosvold/Tipton reunion set the bar so high :p

So, Erik's tracking vocals this month for ReEvolution... Any hints as to when it's coming out?

Absolutely the best disc I've bought in a long time!! The riff on Incision is fantastic!! Can't wait to hear part II

I think DeEvolution is incredible. Erik sounded like he didnt miss a beat. He sounds great on the cd and its good to see him back with thr Tiptons. I think Chris is an amazing vocalist, Specs was such a great album, but I do prefer Erik and I can't wait to see what these crazy cats think of for the next cd..... CAN'T WAIT