Pestilence

What the hell??? "Grunge Gangsta Raps" What the f***?
At least "Roadblock D.O.A." had some cool guitarwork.

"Mallues.." is a true classic and one of my fav records, but this is just SAD.

//LD

I haven't listened to it, but the description makes it sound horrible. Why not just join Tommy Lee or Vanilla Ice in that same style music? Considering Patricks desire to be a star, I'm surprised he hasn't joined a country or punk band yet.

you gotta be kidding me... Spheres was simply amazing. I don't see how anyone could not like that album. I wish you could of sold it to me. I'd cherish it. I dont know, I didn't get into Pestilence much until I heard Spheres. "personal energy" makes me wanna cry, it's that great. you should reconsider!

Originally posted by JAH
you gotta be kidding me... Spheres was simply amazing. I don't see how anyone could not like that album. I wish you could of sold it to me. I'd cherish it. I dont know, I didn't get into Pestilence much until I heard Spheres. "personal energy" makes me wanna cry, it's that great. you should reconsider!

The way the jazz and fusion elements were included in the music sound pretty awkward (same happened with Atheist's last disc but Cynic succeeded nicely). Also the songwriting is a bit lacking as is the production and the vocals.

I thought Spheres was a pretty good album. Kinda a poor man's Death in some ways, but maybe the only band who really sounded similiar to Death. That alone makes it worthwhile to me because I love Death. I don't see any problems with the production and didn't think the vocals were much different the Testimony of the Ancients. Obviously the brutal aspects of Pestilence were fading by the last 2 albums, but it was cool for it's progressive nature.

I listened to the C-187 tracks last week, and I am not too sure what to think of them. There certainly is some nice guitar work and wow..THAT drum machine....mmmmm, tasty, hahahah!

As far as "Spheres" goes, I really believe it to be WAY ahead of it's time. It does have that Cynic/Death feel to it, but you know what? That's a good thing. The guitar synthesizers, the mid-rangey guitar tone, the drum sound, it all seems to work so well. I didn't 'get it' when it came out in '93, but after a couple of years, and after progressing as a musicican, I finally did 'get it.' It's my fave Pestilence CD now. And "Consuming..." was always my fave before that.

Long live Pestilence, and HELLO JAMES!

Dale

Same thing with me here. I didn't get Cynic on my first few listens to their album then one day everything just made sense. I also got Pestilence's Spheres album which I kept even though I didn't like that much. I was pretty much sure everything would 'click' one day.

I believe Pestilence succeeded in incorporating fusion elements in their "old school" technical death riffs. I like the Spheres album VERY MUCH!! It's really unique!

And about Atheist, they got better with each album! Man, I like "Elements"!

About the new project (C-187) I really like it so far.
OK, the drumcomputer and the guitarsound just suck but remember it's a rough promo! If this band gets a good production with good musicians I BET it will CRUSH!!

By the way, some promotion for my own fusionmetal project Exivious :) www.exivious.com

Cheers!
Tymon

The first Atheist album I bought was Elements and I immediately liked it and still do. A few years later I got Unquestionable Presence, but never got into it at all and therefore never got Piece of Time. I'd still like to hear Piece of Time just don't know if I ever will. I remember getting the Cynic album after seeing that the guys were also on Death's Human. I never became a huge fan of the Focus CD, but it had some good moments.

the demos sound really good (music wise) and the drum machine is also very cool (for a drum machine...a real drummer with real feel would make those parts come alive). i think patrick is actually a fan of gansta rap, as he stated in an interview. if he is making music for personal enjoyment thats great, which i think he is. i'm looking forward to it actually, it sounds really interesting. no one ever tried rap metal this complex.

ryan

Here's a fun fact: if you have the vinyl version of Testimony of the Ancients you can see my picture in the collage on the inner sleeve, standing around Morrisound with the Pestilence guys and some Athiest guys. i believe i am wearing an old white Immolation t-shirt.