"Petrucci’s set of shame in front of Maiden hero"

Apr 10, 2009
Petrucci’s set of shame in front of Maiden hero

Published: Thursday, December 16th, 2010. © Rock AAA.

Despite drummer troubles, Dream Theater guitarist John says his worst moment of 2011 was playing out-of-tune medley while Adrian Smith listened

It’s been a dramatic year for Dream Theater, with founding member and effective bandleader Mike Portnoy suddenly quitting.

But the prog metal outfit’s lead guitarist says that wasn’t the worst moment of his year – that came when the band were on tour in support of their heroes, Iron Maiden.

Petrucci explains: “During our set Mike decided to go off on a medley of Maiden covers. I’d normally be able to hang off that in my sleep, since I know just about every song.

“But in all the excitement I forgot the guitar I was playing was in drop-D tuning – so I just butchered one song after another.

“It turns out that, unbeknownst to me, Maiden guitarist Adrian Smith was standing right beside me the entire time. Oh well – it’s not like it was in front of an Iron Maiden crowd or anything!”

The split with Portnoy does figure largely in Petrucci’s review of the past twelve months, however; and he appears to suggest the drummer’s touring stint with Avenged Sevenfold is to blame for his departure from Dream Theater.

Asked what his personal theme song for 2010 would be, he replies: “I Will Survive – for obvious reasons.”

And Petrucci says the biggest lesson he learned this year was: “Don’t let your drummer fill in for another band.”

The band have chosen a replacement sticksman and will start work on a new album in January. They’ve asked their fans to show patience while they iron out contractual details before naming their new member.

http://www.rockaaa.com/news/petruccis-set-of-shame-in-front-of-maiden-hero-1493

Argh! Dare I say it here?

Petrucci shouldn't worry too much about playing out of key, Janick does it all the time.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Great read, Kirsten! At least it sounds like he had a sense of humor about it. And Swanny... Janick always plays every note as he intends. I have this on good authority! :D