Pharaoh - Be Gone

johnfrank1970

Jan 10, 2002
Madison, WI
welcome.to
Pharaoh has come up with another winner. Be Gone is in the vein of its excellent predecessor, The Longest Night, but it features some new twists and turns. The first thing that struck me was the excellent guitar melodies and leads, which surpass anything Matt has done before. The riffage itself is quite enjoyable, although so far it is not quite as engaging overall to me as on The Longest Night. The songs on Be Gone are not as immediately appealing, which could speak well to this album's ability to be a grower over time. There are no straightforward energetic asskickers like "I Am the Hammer" on this one, and there's only one track that has a somewhat epic feel.

Tim Aymar's vocals are consistently impressive on Be Gone and more accomplished than they were on The Longest Night. That said, fewer vocal lines have stuck with me so far. There seem to be fewer obvious hooks and infectious vocal melodies on display.

I enjoyed all nine tracks on Be Gone, but "Telepath" stands out as perhaps the best song Pharaoh has ever written. It is a bit more involved than is typical for the band, the leads are amazing, and it's catchy as hell. "Rats and Rope" is noteworthy for its fun classic thrash lyrics. The opener "Speak to Me" is another favorite of mine. Two songs, "Dark New Life" and the title track, especially, have a different feel to them than any previous material from the band. The former features an interesting stuttering riff that morphs into something more Maidenesque, and the latter has a groovy, almost psychedelic vibe to it at times.

Congratulations go to Pharaoh on going 3 for 3 on their albums, and I hope they kick ass at the Keep It True festival.

I own their previous two discs, and feel that both are solid efforts. I'd like to see them take their songwriting to the next level. Hopefully on "Be Gone" they accomplish that.

Zod

Not sure if you all saw this on BWBK:

"To celebrate the success of PHARAOH's third album Be Gone, Cruz Del Sur in agreement with the band, has made available the whole album for streaming on the label's MySpace page ( http://www.myspace.com/cruzdelsurmusic ) for a limited period of 30 days.

No voiceovers, no cuts, nothing but the music to speak itself.

Pharaoh and Cruz Del Sur Music are putting the final details to a new release together, that will see the light before the end of 2008. It's going to be a friendly-priced EP, entitled 10 Years. It contains several additional songs from the Be Gone sessions and special cover versions of SLAYER and NEW MODEL ARMY songs.

Pharaoh will also release a split 7" with CANVAS SOLARISIN 2008, featuring the bands' own versions of the CORONER classics 'Tunnel Of Pain' and 'Arc-Lite'.

Pharaoh is also meanwhile preparing for it's live debut in the US, which will take place on August 9th at Alehorn of Power III at The Double Door in Chicago."

Incredible! I don't yet know if I like it as much as The Longest Night, which is possibly my most-listened-to album of the past few years, but it's up there. Specifically, "Buried at Sea", "Rats and Rope", and "Telepath" are some incredible songs. "Buried at Sea" is so insanely catchy that it regularly gets stuck in my head for days at a time.

Finally listening to this steam, pretty awesome so far! (and I'm a bad man, I haven't heard/gotten the Longest Night yet... )

I'm really loving the guitar harmonies and mix of electric/clean guitar.