In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Pharaoh - The Longest Night
Cruz Del Sur Music - February 27, 2006
by Amanda J. Carlson
Pharaoh.gif

I can't get past the blatant Judas Priest resemblance. If I didn't know better, I'd guess that Priest had gotten Ripper Owens back on vocals and released a new album. There's no doubt that this makes Pharaoh a good band with a solid album here. The first song alone has enough power to knock you on your ass. They only waver on a handful of tracks where they lose the momentum and punchiness that's clearly their style. The guitarist puts forth some skillful shred work within the typical song structures of power metal fashion. Classic power metal.

I must jump to track four, "By the Night Sky," because it overrules all songs on this album. It's eight minutes of unending heavy domination with a first-class chorus I can't get enough of. Of course, the worst, most irritating song, "Endlessly," follows right behind that. The singer's once enjoyable raspiness goes into ear-splitting high pitches. It's unfortunate that after the pain of that song, the vocals are no longer as tolerable, and I can only enjoy the continuing greatness of the guitarist. That's what makes the instrumental, "Never Run," that much more awesome.

Pharaoh has so much potential. When they're at their best, they really slam and I love it. But they don't keep that vitality steadfast, leading to some disappointment. The Longest Night is their second album, and I hope it won't be their last. Even though the incredibly conspicuous Priest influence rages in their music, I'm excited about this band and eagerly await what is in their future.

6.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Pharaoh Official Website
Cruz Del Sur Official Website

This review is NUTS! This is the best traditional metal album I've heard this year HANDS DOWN! Judas Priest is just one of many influences on the album and nowhere near as blatant as it has been with Primal Fear or about a dozen other acts I could name. Difference of opinion is one thing, but I'm baffled how any lover of old school epic metal could rate this so low. :erk: :loco:

Metal Chick -- how many times did you spin this before reviewing it? Less than 5?

Subjectivity aside, some of this review seems a little off the mark. Suggesting that Pharoah is a Priest-clone makes them sound like Primal Fear, Silent Force, Sinner, Killing Machine, etc which they're not. Far from it. Certainly MUCH more progressive with large bias towards solid songwriting and song structures.

And random reference to Ripper Owens, yet no mention of the actual vocalist, Tim Aymar from Control Denied??? :erk:

That said, this (or any) album isn't above criticism, and it does have a few flaws, just not those necessarily listed in the review. :p Otherwise, it's a pretty spectacular album I'd say, and I only learned to realize that after 7 or 8 spins.

Right now, I'd give it an 8/10.

The Metal Chick said:
Sorry you guys disagree, but that's life. Not everyone is going to like everything.

Fair enough, but I think it's more about review accuracy than it is opinions. Saying that this sounds like Priest-clone is pretty far off the mark, but hey, it's all subjective.

I mean, if you were reviewing Primal Fear, I'd say fair game.

JayKeeley said:
Fair enough, but I think it's more about review accuracy than it is opinions. Saying that this sounds like Priest-clone is pretty far off the mark, but hey, it's all subjective.

I mean, if you were reviewing Primal Fear, I'd say fair game.

I have to agree. Pharaoh sound very little like Priest, and Aymar sounds nothing like Ripper. There's a large Maiden influence, if anything else.

But I will say that Metal Chick is absolutely correct about "By The Night Sky" being the best song here. It's worth the price of admission alone.