phasing issues when quantizing blumlein stereo OHs

May 17, 2007
Germany
www.facebook.com
so I figured out how to quantize tracks. It works really well with single drum tracks. If I quantize the left OH track, it`s perfect too. then the right OH...no problem. but as soon as I play them back together, you can hear chorusy sounds due to phasing issues. I`m using cubase sx3.
I don`t know how to solve this problem, because you can only load one audio file into the "sample editor", where you calculate the hitpoints etc.. the hitpoints must be exactly the same on both tracks before quantizing. Can someone help me out here?

Bump your two tracks to a stereo track.
Then quantize the tracks together as a stereo track.
They must be done together or else you will have major phase issues like you're experiencing.

IMO you really should be "quantizing" all drum tracks together most of the time. Otherwise you are just creating a wild phase mess that is constantly changing. I don't know what DAW you are using so I guess I'm not being that helpful to you.

He's in Cubase he said. So you need to make sure you group all those drum tracks before you start cutting shit up. I never thought about bouncing the overheads to get rid of phasing issues. Makes total sense though. I've just always tried to minimalize the damage.

Bump your two tracks to a stereo track.
Then quantize the tracks together as a stereo track.
They must be done together or else you will have major phase issues like you're experiencing.

Yep good advice, but do it just when you got "the sound", I mean if you're still tweaking the knobs to get a good comp on the snare or say a great sample on the kick, it's better to have all ready then you can use this trick.
I usually quantize on the multitracks, I don't bounce the drums to stereo and then work on that, I'm never satisfied with the sound till it reaches the final stage (mastering).

I still can't figure out how to do this. The farthest I've gotten is calculating hitpoints. Anything past that, I'm clueless. I've tried a couple things, but I never notice a difference, so I'm sure I'm not doing it right, haha.

I use Nuendo.

Did you find something online to help you learn how to do this?