circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Phazm – Hate at First Seed
Osmose Productions – OPCD 2166 – February 22nd, 2005
By Jason Jordan

PHAZMhateCD.jpg

The trees are alive in this, Phazm’s Hate at First Seed. Besides offering a concept that is nauseatingly similar to that of Lord of the Rings, the band play an offshoot of blackened death metal. But the music isn’t devoid of rock influences either. What transpires is ultimately an amalgamation of different, musical breeds, and it’s done quite satisfyingly.

“In Chaos” commences with an eerie soundclip of a young girl being pursued through a forest, and then unabashedly dives into the group’s shtick. “What a Wonderful Death,” conversely, prefers to utilize the black ‘n roll technique as the two styles are inexplicably juxtaposed. The aforementioned phenomenon does its job, and – though the transitions aren’t seamless – they are passable. Phazm definitely enjoy using heavy-end groove I might add. “Resinous Balm” is foreboding at its inception as the guys stretch to forge a haunting song in the end; the vocalizations are utterly strained and rather unattractive. Hate at First Seed returns to a speed-induced frenzy with the advent of “Forest Recipe.” Essentially, it’s a quickie but good nevertheless. When “Devoured Tenderness” burgeons it’s reminiscent of temperamental Immortal, ala “Tyrants,” or something similar. If it’s exquisite rhythms you’re seeking, look no further than “Vicious Seed,” the sludgy “Fleshback,” and, well, “Loneliness” is purely mundane until it hits the 1:00 minute mark.

While it’s not album of the year material, Phazm’s Hate at First Seed is a solid manifestation sans a track or two. I doubt I’ll be listening to this everyday, but its shelf-life will be relatively shorter than a great number of albums already in my ever-increasing collection.

8/10

Official Phazm website
Official Osmose Productions website