Phazm – Cornerstone of the Macabre

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Phazm – Cornerstone of the Macabre
Osmose – 16 Sep 2008
by Ryan Starr

51UUfMygdsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

How does a band from France all of a sudden start playing with a NOLA sound? Furthermore, how do they do it so well? It seems like the NOLA sound is becoming increasingly popular in Europe, and Phazm were certainly a contributor to the scene. Sadly Phazm have broken up since the release of Cornerstone of the Macabre. Even though the band is no longer recording, I still feel this deserves some recognition.

Cornerstone of the Macabre is an impressive mix of southern sludge and Florida death metal. A grimy mix between Morbid Angel and Acid Bath that is sure to please most fans of the genre. The first couple of songs are mainly groovy death metal, but as the album progresses we get more and more of a southern feel. We’re even treated to some pretty fun slide work. The highlight of the CD is definitely ‘Welcome to my Funeral’ which showcases just how well they pull the foreign style. Dax Riggs would certainly be proud. But don’t be fooled, this isn’t your every day sludge sound. Phazm have a quirky style that makes this an entertaining and somewhat unpredictable magnum opus.

It’s sad to hear this will be the last of Phazm, but they definitely went out on a strong note. I highly recommend everyone try to find a copy. Unfortunately I think copies are in short supply, so if you come across one, snag it!

Official Phazm Website
Official Phazm Myspace
Official Osmose Website

Nice review, inspired me to check this gem out. Really digging it now