Phil Collins

This.

I prefer Gabriel's solo stuff, but you can't deny Phil's talent as a songwriter.

Oh you can deny Phil's talent as a songwriter. His solo work is atrocious and offensive to the ears. He should've stayed doing what he did best, playing drums and being Peter Gabriel's backing vocalist.

Oh you can deny Phil's talent as a songwriter. His solo work is atrocious and offensive to the ears. He should've stayed doing what he did best, playing drums and being Peter Gabriel's backing vocalist.

Could you say that a little louder, I think Phil had one of his Grammys stuck in his ears again.

It's common knowledge that Grammy's are worthless.

Yeah, but when you couple six Grammys with an Oscar, two Golden Globes, success over three decades, 10 number 1 hits and 150 million records sold, it's kinda hard to float an argument that the guy can't write a song.

Again, I much prefer Genesis and Peter Gabriel from a personal taste standpoint, but trust me... the dude can craft a tune.

I like Genesis, when I have my earphones on I cannot hardly give a h00t if the human behind the music is gay or not. My only twang is the band shouldn't be gay. the people making do not really matter....

Yeah, but when you couple six Grammys with an Oscar, two Golden Globes, success over three decades, 10 number 1 hits and 150 million records sold, it's kinda hard to float an argument that the guy can't write a song.

Again, I much prefer Genesis and Peter Gabriel from a personal taste standpoint, but trust me... the dude can craft a tune.

All that means is that the mass, mainstream population think he can write a song. But there have mean many examples throughout history that show that the population en mass is full of shit. But I will say though that evidently he can write a song, he just can't write a decent one.

All that means is that the mass, mainstream population think he can write a song. But there have mean many examples throughout history that show that the population en mass is full of shit. But I will say though that evidently he can write a song, he just can't write a decent one.

In some cases you'd be right. In this one you're wrong. Still, you're entitled to wallow in your wrongness, so... enjoy!

Phil is good at what he does, as a pop star. His simple drum fill entrance for "In the Air Tonight" is pure awesomeness and fuck anyone who says otherwise. His gated snare sound ruled the 80's. He was nearly in the Beatles. And he was in Miami Vice. I remember an interview with some Genesis producer where he said he always wished that Phil and Peter could have learned from one another, that he wished Phil were more experimental and Peter more pop-minded. There's probably something to be said for that.

Plenty of great Phil Collins tunes out there. You just have to like that sort of thing. I do, and I don't care. I wouldn't listen to him all the time, or even with any degree of frequency. But generally, I won't switch the station, and he usually makes me smile.

A lot of his solo stuff I can take or leave (Especially as of late). But Hello, I Must Be Going is a phenomenal album. It's a very dark album, in it's own way...and that's part of the reason why I like it so much.