Phil comments on MTV.com!!!!

Born Again Idiot

668-Neighbor Of The BEAST
Jul 7, 2004
PA
In response to the killing of Dimebag Darrell, ex-Pantera singer Phil Anselmo has issued a rambling, emotional statement saying he's devastated by what happened, and calling the slain guitarist "the most beautiful person, one of my best friends in the world."

"I never got a chance to say goodbye in the right way and it kills me. I wish to God I could've gone to his funeral." — Ex-Pantera Frontman Phil Anselmo

"I love Dimebag Darrell because there was not one mother----er like him," he said. "I love him like a brother loves a brother."

Anselmo, who currently fronts the band Superjoint Ritual, expressed his condolences to Dimebag's bandmates, especially his drummer and brother. "Vinnie Paul, my other brother, I'm so sorry," he said. "I'm so sorry to his family. I want to say bless his family, [and] all of his close friends. I wish his family the least grief they could ever have, and I know it's impossible."

The kind words countered comments Anselmo made through the media before Darrell's death. In the cover story of the latest issue of the English magazine Metal Hammer, Anselmo, in an interview conducted long before Darrell's death, called the guitarist "a "shallow, stupid man," and added "he deserves to be beaten severely."
The singer's comments were in response to Darrell's implications that Anselmo was on heroin, and that his singing was suffering as a result. "He would attack me, vocally," Anselmo said in the article. "And just knowing that he was so much smaller than me, I could kill him like a f---in' piece of vapor, you know, he would turn into vapor."

Anselmo planned to attend Darrell's public memorial service Tuesday night in Arlington, Texas, but was told that Darrell's family didn't want him to attend (see "Thousands Gather To Mourn Dimebag Darrell"). "I never got a chance to say goodbye in the right way and it kills me," he said. "I wish to God I could've gone to his funeral, but I have to respect his family's wishes, and they do not want me there. I believe I belong there, but I understand completely, I'm so sorry."

Not only did Darrell's death dash the hopes of a Pantera reunion, Anselmo said the incident has made him question his own career as a musician. "This has changed the entire world, and this is the last you'll be seeing of me for a long time," he said. "I hope you're happy, heavy metal music magazines, media, I hope you're happy. I'm done."

Well, there are a lot of people alive today that I hate and will gladly talk shit about, but I don't want them to die, especially in that manner. People have screwed me and betrayed me and and I wish them the worst, but not to that extreme. I think Phil was expressing the same feelings...these same feelings that a large percentage of our music (metal) expresses, which is hate for those who have hurt us. But I'm sure Phil hurts like the rest of us, because even though he may have despised Dimebag for whatever reasons, I know he never wanted this to happen. Now he looks like the bad guy, because of what he said. I think we should look at Phil now, and it seems to me that inside he truly cared about Darrell.

yes it was musical reasons first and the media only reported all the negative stuff anyway,its sad that phil didnt get to say goodbye properly but u have to respect the families wishes.

Come on, it´s not THAT hard to believe. Talking shit in press is one thing, but your long time friend slain onstage is a second thing.

I just feel that in Phil'z case....he may never be able to be on a stage again. Never knowing if some nut might take an attempt at his life thinking he was the cause of Darrell's death. That nad the way the media is.....they will never let him down!! He will have a hard time getting shows to sell....just my opinion on what he said in that statement.

Metal without Pantera is going to be a hollow place....Unless Metallica comes out and makes a kick ass Heavy Metal album.....oh well I don't think that is going to happen too....

you know, I've always felt kind of sorry for Phil, way before this incident happened. There seems to be an insecurity inside of him that causes him to act this way. I know he probably never meant the things he said, but over the years, it seems he can't help himself, as if he's trying to overcompensate for something. I know he must be in a terrible place mentally. I hope he learns to cope with his inner demons. It's really a shame.

man, i feel bad for Phil that he wasnt able to go to the funeral. Thats got to be hard to take.

isnt it crazy that all this shit is happening/happened just because some punk ass 25 yr old kid that nobody knew from Ohio, decided to lose his mind and go and shoot up a club. this is nuts. i wonder what the fuck was going through his head right before he did it.

Phils beef with Dime wasn´t something I was very interessted in, there was stuff written in magazines and on the web about the feud. I always Phil used harsh words when describing Dime, "fuck-up", "should get a good beating" and so on... Pantera was over since al long time and I thought "are the interviewers provoking him, otherwise thats some very imature shit he´s saying". And sure, I feel somewhat sorry for Phil but he said so much shit so he´s now going to look like the bad guy and not be welcome at Dimes funeral. He should have told people how happy he was not being in Pantera anymore and leave it at that.

Karina_666 said:
you know, I've always felt kind of sorry for Phil, way before this incident happened. There seems to be an insecurity inside of him that causes him to act this way. I know he probably never meant the things he said, but over the years, it seems he can't help himself, as if he's trying to overcompensate for something. I know he must be in a terrible place mentally. I hope he learns to cope with his inner demons. It's really a shame.
yeah i was watching all the pantera home videos the other day to try and ease the pain of losing dimebag,u really notice the change from vulgar to watch it go,be interestiung to see what he does from here,i do hope that vinnie finds the power to play in a band agagin,i would love him to carry on in the tradition of dimebag,he is too important to the scane to give it all up.