Phil Demmel speaks on new Machine Head record

Brett

------
Aug 31, 2003
"So with this one, I was involved in the beginning. Rob (Flynn, vocals/guitar) and I really had a chance to kind of go back to a little bit of our history in the early 80’s thrash stage. There’s a lot of fast riffing, kind of intricate, technical stuff. We kind of wanted to push ourselves. Everybody in the band, we just kind of wanted to push ourselves musically. So what can you expect from The Blackening? Long songs! A couple 10-minute songs, a couple 8-minutes songs. Just really the most intricate and most technical Machine Head record to date."

Several 8-10 minute songs on this one.

01. Clenching the Fists of Dissent
02. Beautiful Mourning
03. Aesthetics of Hate
04. Now I Lay Thee Down
05. Slanderous
06. Halo
07. Wolves
08. A Farewell to Arms

MachineHead-TheBlackening.jpg

Yea, tr00ness aside, i'm REALLY looking forward to this. The last record was leaps in the right direction.

I'd also like to add that Burning Red and Supercharger are piles of doo-doo. Everything else I dig.

Ashes of Empires was pretty good. If this new album continues in the same vein or improves upon it then it should be quite damn alright.

unknown said:
8-10 minute songs mean fuck all...what matters is how good they are

From the an interview with Robb Flynn:

"We wanted to take listeners on a journey, but within the context of a song. We didn't want it to be riff soup. The first thing people say is 'Oh, 10-minute songs. It could be St Anger where you have three riffs for 10 minutes.' This is 10 minutes and 35 molten metal riffs. There's shade and light in there too, but it's pretty much full-on metal"

Sounds slightly promising

that's a cool album cover, but 8-10 minute songs mean fuck all...what matters is how good they are

They wrote 25 songs for the new record.

I bet they'll be good. Phil and Robb are a great team.

Through the Ashes of Empires was not a terrible record, not a classic but it at least displayed a willingness to return to something more metal than the previous lacklustre efforts.

This one could be worth picking up.

Through the Ashes of Empires was not a terrible record, not a classic but it at least displayed a willingness to return to something more metal than the previous lacklustre efforts.

This one could be worth picking up.
It WILL be worth picking up.

Carve that into your desk 100 times plz so you dont forget!