Philosophy Survey

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I was wondering, if anyone would be interested in doing a little philosophy survey? A very, very simple survey. This survey, should be served to friends, co-workers, family, etc.; not UM posters. Results (in whatever answer form--or even the data of persons successfully answering such questions) should be posted on this thread.

1. Name three philosophers.

2. Name three philosophical works.

3. Name a philosopher of the analytical school; the continental school

4. Roughly what period or time or century, did the following philosophers live in:

Descartes

Wittgenstein

Plotinus

Heraclitus

Aquinas

5. Referring back to question 4, please do your best to provide a short answer or synopsis of each philosopher and his central ideas.

Or, we can change some questions/philosophers as long as the philosophers are well-known. I'm interested how many people can answer such a basic survey, especially since I personally meet so many ignorant people everyday. Honestly, there's a number of other basic non-philosophical questions I'd like to survey as well. And the time periods question I listed, should be treated very broadly: any answer close or within a hundred years is fine. I do think it important to know how philosophy has evolved, and this is only done by an understanding of the basic historical framework of philosophy.

lmao. most people couldn't even tell you the first name of most famous philosophers let alone when they lived or where or a title of what they wrote.

philosophy isn't important to most people. I don't expect I could find anyone who could answer half of that, hell I doubt I could find anyone my age who could put plato and socrates and aristotle in chronological order :D unless they went to college.

I've been interested (in the more 'academic' style of philosophy - been interested in thinking for a fair while ;)) for a few months now and still wouldn't manage 3,4 and 5, particularly competently... potentially related to my 'big picture' viewpoint I guess - never been very interested in names and dates, prefer ideas - but my family and friends, generally of a reasonable education level, would laugh at me if I gave them such a survey, seems unlikely they'd manage more than 1 or 2 vague answers...

I've been interested (in the more 'academic' style of philosophy - been interested in thinking for a fair while ;)) for a few months now and still wouldn't manage 3,4 and 5, particularly competently... potentially related to my 'big picture' viewpoint I guess - never been very interested in names and dates, prefer ideas - but my family and friends, generally of a reasonable education level, would laugh at me if I gave them such a survey, seems unlikely they'd manage more than 1 or 2 vague answers...

Yeah, well I didnt actually think anyone was going to do the survey.

But a general answer for the philosophers I think is doable. I mean people should be able to answer Aquinas had something to do with the Catholic Church; mention Heraclitus being a Pre-Socratic; at least say I think therefore I am by Descartes. Something. Anything.

The only people I know who I would expect to be able to answer those questions are my philosophy major friends from school, and they don't count 'cause they're not "normal".

The only people I know who I would expect to be able to answer those questions are my philosophy major friends from school, and they don't count 'cause they're not "normal".

I can imagine what your conversations (between philo students) sound like!

But not even no 1 and no 2? Surely at least 50% of the population can answer number 1. Even if they answer jesus, so-crates (like Bill and Ted), and Deepak Chopra.

I just finished up my B.A. in philosophy and history around the holidays and I never once had to learn about Wittgenstein or Plotinus, so I doubt any random person I gave this poll to would have any idea. Any time I even try to talk about very general contemporary issues with most people while using a philosophical framework for analysis I get strange looks...

Something more general like putting Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle in order or other such questions might be more realistic and fun.

lmao. most people couldn't even tell you the first name of most famous philosophers let alone when they lived or where or a title of what they wrote.

philosophy isn't important to most people. I don't expect I could find anyone who could answer half of that, hell I doubt I could find anyone my age who could put plato and socrates and aristotle in chronological order :D unless they went to college.

I have a somewhat unorthodox range of friends(and family members), some of whom are quite wealthy and successful, degreed, and very intelligent; while others are relatively simple, blue-collar working folks who enjoy a six-pack and an old western as much anything. None, to the very best of my knowledge, could even begin to answer these questions.
As for co-workers and the like...I have never yet encountered a co-worker in well over a decade with the same company that appeared even remotely interested in genuine intellectual pursuits of any meaningful kind. I have a variety of professional peers who seem to live and die by the outcome of a college basketball game, however.:erk: Indeed, it is my experience with these people that largely lead me to become so disillusioned with my fellow-man in the first place. If any of them were worth talking to on matters of any significance...I probably wouldn't be here:lol:

I have a somewhat unorthodox range of friends(and family members), some of whom are quite wealthy and successful, degreed, and very intelligent; while others are relatively simple, blue-collar working folks who enjoy a six-pack and an old western as much anything. None, to the very best of my knowledge, could even begin to answer these questions.
As for co-workers and the like...I have never yet encountered a co-worker in well over a decade with the same company that appeared even remotely interested in genuine intellectual pursuits of any meaningful kind. I have a variety of professional peers who seem to live and die by the outcome of a college basketball game, however.:erk: Indeed, it is my experience with these people that largely lead me to become so disillusioned with my fellow-man in the first place. If any of them were worth talking to on matters of any significance...I probably wouldn't be here:lol:

Its pretty much a ditto for me. My brother for instance is a very intelligent person, in a top field (IT) who is rather oblivious (purposely) to most everything but the latest software and tech changes, and music; however, he will tell me stories of how he'd be the only person in class or is the only person at work who knew (or knows) there were japanese internment camps in WWII, or even basic things like knowing Muslims dont eat pork etc. We're talking about VP's and higher making over six figures, that dont have the slightest clue about anything but their professions.

If I open up my mouth, and say anything remotely intelligent, I get blank stares from 99% of people. Im not a philosophy expert by any means, but I am quite acquainted and have read most of the major philosophers, and have a very wide-ranging intellect. Half of my friends are foreign--either European or Middle Eastern; this is because only with them can I have a decent conversation that doesnt bog itself down in banality as those with Americans.

However, i have noticed a decent amount of awareness over Iraq and politics lately. I've been rather surprised as just a few years ago, i was a one man operation informing or arguing of the massive failures on the ground and in policy on Iraq, and no one paid any attention to what was going on. Of course, I think this is because of the ramped up media coverage. Just two years ago the media essentially distorted the truth on a number of things (not to mention not pressing this Libby/Cheney ordeal when they had the info 3 years ago). But now, I suppose since the public is turning, or because the news just never got better, but actually worse, they couldnt distort or lie as much.

1. Name three philosophers. Arthur Schopenhauer, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Immanuel Kant

2. Name three philosophical works. "Republic" "Being and Nothingness" "Beyond Good and Evil"

4. Roughly what period or time or century, did the following philosophers live in:

Descartes (Renaissance)-"I think therefore I am" Did a lot of things with mathematics like the Cartesian coordinates.

Wittgenstein (Early 20th century)-Can't remember, very difficult philosopher, believed western civilization had been in decline since Beethoven.

Plotinus (Ancient Rome)-Neoplatonism

Heraclitus (Ancient Greece)-Believed the world was created through the logos and that all was in flux

Aquinas(Middle Ages)-Reconciled Aristotle with Christianity

5. Referring back to question 4, please do your best to provide a short answer or synopsis of each philosopher and his central ideas.

1. Name three philosophers. Arthur Schopenhauer, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Immanuel Kant

2. Name three philosophical works. "Republic" "Being and Nothingness" "Beyond Good and Evil"

Descartes (Renaissance)-"I think therefore I am" Did a lot of things with mathematics like the Cartesian coordinates.

Wittgenstein (Early 20th century)-Can't remember, very difficult philosopher, believed western civilization had been in decline since Beethoven.

Plotinus (Ancient Rome)-Neoplatonism

Heraclitus (Ancient Greece)-Believed the world was created through the logos and that all was in flux

Aquinas(Middle Ages)-Reconciled Aristotle with Christianity

Well done.