Picking style

r_young112

aspiring shredder
Dec 2, 2006
milwaukee, WI
i came across an article about oscillation, translation, and rotation picking this weekend

chris your opinions on these?

also are there any good exercises anyone would suggest for working on trem picking?

That's the Tuck Andrea's picking article. That's a gem. That ones worth reading a couple times through.
He's dead on. The first person I've seen thoughly break it all down.

I use to pick from my elbow primarily, but this article turned me around.
Now I primarily use oscillation.....kinda like knocking on a door. Just being aware of these specific motions in our writs an arms helps.

Chris had had some good pots on this aswell.....might try searching through the forum.

I was an elbow picker for years, but never got the full results I wanted. I probably topped out around 200 bpm. THen I switched and started using my wrist now I can aternate pick up to 260bpm(that's where my drum machine ends), maybe a little faster.

My elbow still moves a little, incidently, but the motion really is more from the wrist.

Oscillation is what worked for me. Probably some rotation aswell.

i came across an article about oscillation, translation, and rotation picking this weekend

chris your opinions on these?

also are there any good exercises anyone would suggest for working on trem picking?

So what does the article say about the picking we would normally use in metal rhythm, especially for faster thrash/ power/ death playing?
I use my wrist, but I notice that some people use a woodpecker style whereas I use a rotation of the wrist to play.

Rotation causes wider strokes and is slower, I simply use tiny twitches, the arm doesn't wear out much at all, I am using this mostly for extreme tempo BM and the like.

I was an elbow picker for years, but never got the full results I wanted. I probably topped out around 200 bpm. THen I switched and started using my wrist now I can aternate pick up to 260bpm(that's where my drum machine ends), maybe a little faster.

My elbow still moves a little, incidently, but the motion really is more from the wrist.

Translation is what worked for me. Probably some rotation aswell.

Holy Shit!
You must post a video on youtube just showing off your speed and technique.
Do you use alternate or economy picking? Ive been using economy, and I find it so hard to revert back to alternate. Im so much slower with alternate. Any tips?

Holy Shit!
You must post a video on youtube just showing off your speed and technique.
Do you use alternate or economy picking? Ive been using economy, and I find it so hard to revert back to alternate. Im so much slower with alternate. Any tips?

I've been working on economy picking quite a bit this past year. My old guitar teacher from years ago uses economy picking most the time and has gotten really good at it. He's more of a jazzer now. He was more into the neoclassical thing 16 years ago when I studied with him.

Anyways, after seeing him play I thought I'd give it a fair shake...I never liked the mechanical aspects of directional picking. But since I've started working it it has helped my alt picking as kind of a byproduct.

I've been working on economy picking quite a bit this past year. My old guitar teacher from years ago uses economy picking most the time and has gotten really good at it. He's more of a jazzer now. He was more into the neoclassical thing 16 years ago when I studied with him.

Anyways, after seeing him play I thought I'd give it a fair shake...I never liked the mechanical aspects of directional picking. But since I've started working it it has helped my alt picking as kind of a byproduct.

So would you say its worth it to switch from eco to alt? Unlike others, eco comes naturally to me, and it much more comfortable. Is there any reason for me to switch to alt? Thanks bro.

I actually find my picking to be alot more accurate with Alternate as opposed to economy. I started back at 60 bpm with alternate and working my way up (again). I want my picking to be near perfect.

I prefer alt picking and feel I'm better that way....and more rhythmic that way. That's mainly what I use....I think it actually sounds better. Although econmy picking can sound really great for jazzers.....economy picking can have a certain ...roll...to it rhythmically that works well for their lines.

But I think there can be a benefit to practicing both. Alternate picking is a big component of directional picking.

Okay, so I switched back to economy. I'm so much more fluent with economy. But starting back from 60bmp really helped my accuracy.I'm flying. :)

This is a great thread.

Up until a year ago I used to pick arm ( Petrucci, and Vinnie Moore), but noticed that I was moving way to much mass just to pick a string. Also, I notice I had to throw a lot of effort into picking fast and would flex muscles that weren't even needed. Of course this pissed me off when I see someone like Gilbert pick effortlessly, so I started to examine picking under new principals. The way I pick today is a combination of wrist contraction and upper arm rotation. It's very hard to illustrate but for me its the best way to pick.

Take care, Chris.