Picking style

Okay, I'm reading the article on Oscillation, and to tell you the truth, it makes no sense to me at all. I have a pen and a sheet of paper. I lay my wrist on the sheet of paper, with my thumb side in the air. Then I get lost. I really have no idea what to do, its hard to learn without examples given (other than text). If anyone can help mee out here, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Oscillation: Lay your wrist down again, but with the bone nearest the little finger resting on the surface, and the bone nearest the thumb up in the air. Your wrist should be rotated 90 degrees from where it was before, rolled away from your body. Restrain it. You'll have to hold the pen differently, but now if you rotate you will just make dots. The solution is oscillation, the same kind of motion used in knocking on a door or playing piano from the wrist. It is what most people use when writing, also, although usually with more like a 45 degree wrist offset. Now the pen makes long arcs again.

it his kind of hard to describe the motions with words....

Translation, for instance would be the motion of drawing an arc with your wrist flat against the table. I describe it as kind of a side-to-side wrist motion.

Oscillation is the motion you use with your wrist when you knock on a door.

In Tuck's description....if you lay your hand down on the table. Pinky side of the hand against the table. Thumb side in the air. Pencil to the paper.
Now in this position if you use the previous translation movement you merely get dot's. You won't be drawing and arc.
To make and arc on the paper with the pencil you'll utilize oscillation.

When I describe it to people they ussualy look at me like wtf.....how can I use the motion I use for knocking on a door for picking. But then I show them on the guitar and break down the movement and they see. They might even be using it without knowing it.

Most people are just not that use to breaking the movements down that are available for picking. Or even breaking down what they already may be doing.

yeah i remember a while ago, when i first started lessons, my teacher described osc to me, and like, he just said i should check into picking with a more V shape

i thought he was crazy, its a lot easier for me to do translation

it his kind of hard to describe the motions with words....

Translation, for instance would be the motion of drawing an arc with your wrist flat against the table. I describe it as kind of a side-to-side wrist motion.

Oscillation is the motion you use with your wrist when you knock on a door.

In Tuck's description....if you lay your hand down on the table. Pinky side of the hand against the table. Thumb side in the air. Pencil to the paper.
Now in this position if you use the previous translation movement you merely get dot's. You won't be drawing and arc.
To make and arc on the paper with the pencil you'll utilize oscillation.

When I describe it to people they ussualy look at me like wtf.....how can I use the motion I use for knocking on a door for picking. But then I show them on the guitar and break down the movement and they see. They might even be using it without knowing it.

Most people are just not that use to breaking the movements down that are available for picking. Or even breaking down what they already may be doing.
Thanks, you explained it alot better. I searched for videos of oscillation, and I got this.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pn8MpkeKp4I

Does this correctly show it?

That video actually isn't oscillation. It's circle picking which is different. It's covered in the article at 1.1.7.

hahaha, i know insideac, and i had a feeling you came across his vid, yeah he made that for circle picking, primarily for trem picking because its easy to switch strings

i read the article but i'm quite clueless as what he's trying to get at. I personally use circle picking - i picked up a tutorial on an iron maiden website a year back and haven't stopped using it since. Now do i have to change my picking style again?