Pickups

Schraiber

Opeth fanboy
Feb 5, 2002
Hell
What are the different types of pickups and such? I know of single coils, humbuckers, and piezo, but I have no clue what piezos are... Just talk about what type you prefer, why, and I'd really appreciate it if someone had some visual representations of the differences, as well as a technical explaination.

Schraiber said:
What are the different types of pickups and such? I know of single coils, humbuckers, and piezo, but I have no clue what piezos are... Just talk about what type you prefer, why, and I'd really appreciate it if someone had some visual representations of the differences, as well as a technical explaination.
Hmmm...piezos are mostly used in accoustics aren't they? I think they work by picking up vibrations and translating them into an electric signal, but I'm not too sure.

Anyway, as far as metal goes, it's humbucker all the way. They usually have more output than singles, IMO a requirement to get a nice distortion. Singles can be nice for clean playing, but I personally never really cared for them.

A singlecoil is also inherently noisier than a humbucker (humming noises). The dual coils of a humbucker (basically two singlecoils) are wired out of phase with each other, cancelling this hum out. However, some treble is also cancelled out, so a humbucker is generally darker sounding.

As for brands, I'm a chronic EMG addict.

'bane

Nowadays Piezo's are often used on electrics, put at the bridge, so you can get a more acoustic sound out of them (e.g. Yamha RGZ80)

Humbuckers. + what he said ^