Pink Floyd files suit against EMI

Jind

Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)
Mar 7, 2009
I saw this story today and thought it might interest some. the gist of the story is Pink Floyd is filing a lawsuit against the British music giant EMI over royalties in this digital age. At issue is the distribution of individual tracks not sold as part of an entire album.

So whats your thoughts on this? Pink Floyd argues that they signed an agreement back in the 1960's (renegotiated in 1991) over the distribution of their albums as whole entities and it gave no rights to EMI to distribute individual tracks. I'm sure this has an impact over the royalties they receive as people are simply buying one track over the entire album in some cases.

Well, it's hard to draw some conclusion without seeing the contract in its entirety. Based on the alleged facts presented in that article, it seem like the situation might be in favour to PF's argumentation.

They'll probably just reach a $settlement including compensation and another contractual revision.

The article doesn't necessarily imply PF being categorically opposed to having their tracks being sold individually.