Pink Floyd Reform!

mattt

Yes.
Feb 4, 2002
Pink Floyd reforming for Live8

07:39 AEST Mon Jun 13 2005
AAP
AP - Organisers of the London Live 8 concert have said that British rock band Pink Floyd would re-form for a performance at the July event.

Guitarist David Gilmour, drummer Nick Mason, bass player Roger Waters and keyboard player Richard Wright have not performed on stage together since 1981.

The group, which achieved major success with their 1973 album Dark Side Of The Moon, will join musical acts including Elton John, Madonna, Paul McCartney and Coldplay at the anti-poverty concert in Hyde Park on July 2.

"Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G-8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world," Gilmour said.

"It's crazy that America gives such a paltry percentage of its GNP to the starving nations."

Waters, the group's founder, split with the rest of the band after a falling-out in the 1980s

"Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if re-forming for this concert will help focus attention then it's going to be worthwhile," Gilmour said.

spac_writeAd('/SITE=NEWS/AREA=ENTERTAINMENT/LOC=TOP/AAMSZ=MEDIUM')
ad21.gif
space.gif

logo_aap.jpg

©AAP 2005

Yep, this will be a one-night-only proposition. I bet as soon as they finish the last song Roger will be out of there before you can say something really long and relevant to this discussion.

Good thing is we'll be able to watch it. It's going to be highlights on Channel Nine (yeh, probably 30 minutes of it)...but Foxtel are showing the complete London show.

I don't have pay tv, and don't think I ever will, but my brother has it, so I will be watching it, if not taping it (The pink floyd performance, that is).

I know they will only play their big songs, which is still good, but you see it (or, rather, hear it) all the time...

Why can't, for once, a band play some really rare great songs, considering their back catalogue, and especially if this will be a once-off.

It could be a once-off for playing some classic songs, which are 10 times better than 'the usuals'. My wish would be that they could play Dogs, Interstellar Overdrive (dreaming), Let There Be More Light (dreaming)...even something like The Gold It's In The... and gems like these - these are some of the best songs Pink Floyd have created, but alas, will not happen EVER.

Yeh, Learning To Fly is post-Waters. Pink Floyd have heaps better songs than those. Get your head into gear mate! haha. What albums do you own?

Perhaps my favourite is that song on Dark Side of the Moon with the woman singing in the background. What's it called again? Something to do with a gig in the sky.