Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Pixies - Doolittle
By Crumbling Mirth
4AD GAD905CD 1989

There is a massive aura and mystique surrounding this record. Well ahead of its time, Doolittle is cited as having almost single-handedly paved the future for the alternative and grunge scenes of the 90s, and looking at the record in the context of what happened in the years following its release, it's easy to understand why. Doolittle is a record of alarming depth. Catchy, poppy, eclectic, and hysterical all in one. I love it. Completely devoid of filler, each song serves a significant purpose. "Debaser" is a superb opener. Instantly memorable with classic hook come chorus time, Black Francis' frantic vocals on this one are simply outstanding and the outrageous lyrics add measurably to the track's charm. "I am un chien andalusia" has to go down as one of the Pixies' most immortal lines. And the record does not falter, with the relaxed pop of "Here Comes Your Man" and the enigmatic "Dead" which intially hints at abstraction, but gives way to a highly infectious chorus proving that Pixies were quite an exceptional band. "Monkey Gone to Heaven" is gorgeous. I simply cannot fault the songwriting on this one. "La La Love You" is another highlight. Cruisy, catchy, and with a hint of sleaze, Kim Deal and Black Francis' vocals combine exquisitely on this one. I love the guitar work on this track too. "Hey" is great. I love the cryptic lyrics and the transition from verse to chorus. "Gouge Away" is an awesome closer. It's one of the more accessible tracks on this album, and Kurt Cobain is said to have cited it as the sole inspiration for the Nirvana trademark song "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Actually, every track on Doolittle is wonderful. "No. 13 Baby" and "Mr. Grieves" are other notable tracks worthy of a mention. Fun, refreshing, and most importantly timeless, Doolittle is a rare, rare find.

Wow, it's good to see The Pixies being mentioned. I agree that their sound definitely paved the way for many bands. I have only started getting into them in the past few months sadly, but I am thankful to have had "Death to the Pixies" forced down my throat by my ex-girlfriend's older sister. I really enjoy all of their songs. As simple as they may be, they are also incredibly complex. I have caught myself humming "Monkey Gone To Heaven" several times. I definitely want to check out The Pixies more. Thanks for reminding me of such a great band.

am i the only one who thinks it's strange how there is a non-metal section on a site that is explicitly metal?

' can't believe you like them, they are so last millenia'

Iron Maiden..hmmm...