Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Place of Skulls – The Black is Never Far
Exile on Mainstream Records – EOMCD 021 – May 1, 2006
By Rodrigo Escandon

black_cvr.jpg

Sometimes it is really great to have the expectations of an album be completely shattered once you start playing it. Coming into my first listen of The Black is Never Far I totally thought that the music would be closer to the funeral doom style of a band like My Dying Bride. Granted the name Place of Skulls, the title of the album, the bleak album cover and the fact that I had read somewhere that this was doom band were completely selling me into that direction. Boy was I wrong!

First of all, the band’s name refers to the band leader’s, Victor Griffin (whom I had no idea was involved in this band), Christian beliefs in that it’s the English translation of the Hebrew word Golgotha, where Jesus was crucified. The title track and “Changed Heart” have nothing to do with doom but rather with classic southern rock that would be more applicable in a Lynyrd Skynyrd album. But never fear the doom that is to be found in the album would make any fan of Black Sabbath, Pentagram and Saint Vitus quite happy.

Place of Skulls manages to mix up the faster songs (a la “Neon Knights”) such as “Prisoner’s Creed”, “We the Unrighteous” and “Relentless” with the more mid-tempo plodding tunes like “Darkest Hour”, “Apart From Me” and “Masters of Jest”. However, it is not as simple as saying that the 6 songs that I just mentioned are purely enveloped in doom because to a certain degree (be it by a solo or the singing style) all the songs in these album feature that southern rock flavor. If that isn’t enough to keep you guessing on what’s going on there is even a saxophone solo in “Lookin’ For A Reason”.

To be honest this isn’t an album that I will find myself listening to very often but I can’t argue or discredit the fact that Place of Skulls are good at what they do. This music is clearly American filled with honesty and emotion and there should be plenty of enjoyment for fans of this style of music. Shall we call it “southern doom metal”?

7/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Place of Skulls Official Website
Exile on Mainstream Records

Easily the best P.O.S. album and one of the best albums ever in the world of heavy rock/doom.
I won't debate on the fact that My Dying Bride are not funeral doom, because it's off topic, but i can't understand why you expected to hear something like this (cover-title-band name doesn't really make anything that obvious here).

I just had the wrong expectations on what kind of music this band played when I first got hold of the album. Your right on the My Dying Bride not being funeral doom, dont know why I mentioned them as an example.

Obviously this isn't your type of music so it should go to someone who does have at least some sort of affinity towards this style. This review doesn't do this album justice whatsoever and is quite dissapointing. I have heard about half of it so far (cannot fucking wait for it to be released) and everything I have heard is absolutely incredible.