circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Platitude – Nine
Scarlet Records – 2004
By Jason Jordan

platitude.jpg

Platitude have one of the goofiest band photos I’ve ever seen. Their sophomore effort – Nine – isn’t goofy, but it certainly is an average release.

“Dark Mind” is fairly energetic due to the upfront instrumentation and welcoming vocals. The guitar tones, and the riffs themselves, are above average; but the vocalizations don’t convey uniqueness or a sense of individuality, which is an important attribute to possess. “Trust” is more docile and forgettable. “Oblivion” begins with a nice drum rendition, and quickly utilizes keyboard tones that remind me of Magellan’s whimsical moments. If you haven’t caught the drift by now, Platitude’s repertoire is mostly radio-friendly. “Halcyon Days” features pretty cool rhythms and the use of the China cymbal is notable. Search within the song to find interweaving guitar/keyboard solos. “Catch 22” is frantic, “Avalon Farewell” seems overly uninspired, and “Skies of Xenon” displays the group’s adeptness at shaping interesting commencements. Unfortunately, the band loses steam – and subsequent credibility – soon afterwards. “Falling” prefers the polar opposite juxtaposition between subtle and not-so-subtle composition. Skip two tracks to find Platitude’s unnecessarily lengthy song, in “Starlight.”

I don’t have many qualms with Platitude simply because they don’t interest me enough to warrant qualms in the first place. They play their instruments well, but their lack of innovation will continue to overshadow their other qualities. Nine is, perhaps, what you get when you strain the progressive label; or, apply it too liberally.

6/10

Official Platitude website
Official Scarlet Records website