played a new h&k switchblade today

cobrahead1030

Nov 16, 2005
local shop had the 50w combo in stock

overall i was VERY impressed...

the clean channel sounded quite nice on it's own, the built in FX really sound killer, the reverb is quite nice, the chorus i think is a bit of overkill even on the low settings but still sounds really good, the delay sounded ok for cleans

crunch channel is kinda jcm800'ish sounding, but kinda fizzy; i didn't really care for this channel honestly so i didn't tweak around with it much

the lead channel sounded nice and thick, for heavy rhythm stuff and held it's own for leads as well...this channel has a recto-like thickness, but more in your face...with the bass cranked it sang nicely for lead stuff, the verb and delay sounded really good on this channel

the ultra (i think that's what the 4th channel was called) had a nice thick grind that was a bit muddy for rhythm playing, but just screamed for leads...with the mids cranked up pretty good this channel just had a nice bite without being overly agressive; i was able to dial in some killer sounding steve vai kinda lead tones, and the verb + delay on this channel sounded excellent

i only got to try it @ low volumes, with a cheapo ibanez guitar...i really think cranked a little bit, with a decent axe this amp could kick some serious ass

$1299 i think is a bit steep for a 1x12 combo, but this amp definitely had the tone to back it up...if the shop gets the head version in stock i'm definitely going to check that out (the 100w head i believe is also $1299...if it sounds as good as the combo that's a really solid deal IMO)

all in all, i think it's a killer amp...by far the best H&K product i've played, now i've got GAS for yet another amp