Please, give your opinion on this

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Guys,

The studio I work on found a sponsor to pay some projects...my boss went desperate and recruited a band we both think is full of assholes and we always thought would give us problems - but we need the money. The band has recorded everything on another studio, but want to try to track drums for one song to see how it sounds. My boss told me 'do whatever they want to, even if it sounds bad to avoid their annoyances' . The drummer (the biggest assholes of 'em all. He's a very good drummer, but thinks he's the best in town. He also thinks his home studio with egg cartons on the wall and samson mics is the best in town in regards to drums sounds) just sent me a facebook message to leave 'something clear': he wants to track drums in the control room. Our room is 4m x 5m , we'd need to disconnect everything from the patchbay, I wouldn't even have a way to monitor it properly, and well...it is a friggin' control room! My boss doesn't know about this yet (it is almost 1am here, I won't message him this late), but I am pretty sure he'll be pissed. Anyway, how exactly would you behave in this situation?

If money wasn't an issue, I'd tell him to fuck off, but to be honest, I don't know.

yea...i'd definitely tell the guy that just isn't feasible

if he argues, just explain that there's a reason why there's a control room and a live a room, and it's so that you can sit on the other side of the wall from him and hear how fucked up his drum takes are

it seems like he´s doing that just to annoy you, you can politely say him the way you work in your studio, or of course charge them more cause the extra work.

Tell him he can track drums in the control room if he feels like doing all the re-patching and rearrangement of the whole fucking room himself, and then reverting it when he's done.

On second thoughts, that's a terrible idea, because he's a goddamn drummer. He'll probably burn the whole place down.

Tell him it's impossible to record in there because of physical limitations to the gear.

Okay, let me clear this up: I know the guy since my teen years, have played with him, and he is the most annoying guy I've ever knew. By far! He dislikes the studio I work on and dislikes my 'drum sound', which is 'too wet' as he says. We have a fairly big tracking room (at least A LOT bigger than the control room - we could put a whole band in it and still have a dinning table on the middle of the studio and we'd still have room hehehe), so that's why it sounds wet-ish, but we never got one single complain. So basically, he wants to track on the control room because it is smaller and has a dryer sound.

So...he is basically tracking in there because he's paying NOTHING. It is a government project, where the sponsor pays us, the government takes a big chunk off the sponsor's taxes, and the artists get their art. I get paid a little below what I usually would, but at least I get some money.

Well, i just text-messaged my boss. Let's see what he thinks.

AHChris, Been telling this to my boss for the last....3 years? At least we could have this options.

Just talked to boss and his words were 'He is crazy!' and 'stick the mic stands up his ass' haha

Oh shit, my patience is ending. The motherfucker facebooked me saying ´He is also an AE´ (on mommy´s house, inside a bedroom full of egg carton) and that drums SHOULD be recorded completely dry and find its tone later. And he isn´t like ´my friends´ that sound replace their drums. I told him he might be an AE but on the studio I work on the final word is mine and he won´t be telling me how should I do things. Also told him to call my boss because I wont be having any word with him anymore about this. I know this piece of fuck forever and he is the most arrogant person I´ve ever knew.

What he's saying doesn't make any sense at all lol... You can get pretty DRY drum sounds on a huge live room, just don't use room mics or close mic the cymbals. Clearly the guy is an idiot and knows fuck all, just tell him that they're tracking at your studio for some reason and you're the engineer there, not him.

P.S.- Manda-o foder por outras palavras ;)

He just texted me saying the drums should sound like Barry White's. OK, I,m done.

Can't say I've been in a similar situation as I haven't worked in a studio before but if I did I would simply tell him that its your studio, and therefor the studios reputation thats at stake. If you do things his way and it turns out crap thats fine for the band because ultimately the CD will be judged on where it was recorded and who mixed/mastered/etc. Tell him to play by your rules or find another studio because even if this gets you money in the short term, if you listen to all of his 'advice' and it turns out to be a sub par production then its your studio who may lose possible future clients

Well, situation resolved: we won't track any drums. I listened to what they recorded previously, and it is perfectly fine. More on this later..