Please help me improve my mix

Oct 27, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Ok so its the first time I'm mixing a song except for my own songs that weren't with real drums and except 2 songs that people uploaded tracks in this forum. I'm doing it for the band of the guy who sings in my songs (in my signature), they'll pay me but I didn't ask anything as I am doing it for practice and I have pratically no experiene.

I restarted the first song 5 times from the beginning and each time my mix became better. Then I received the guitar tracks for the second song so I started it, and here I am at my second version, I mixed during maybe 5 hours, and it sounds 10 times better than my mix of the song which I mixed during at least 25 hours ( basically the song was my learning tool).

So here's my first version of the mix, well the first half as I don't have the rest of the guitar tracks for the second half. I'd like to know what I could change to improve my mix. The clean vocals are roughly mixed as we'll retrack them next week.

Link : http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/317666/mix2ayoye.mp3

Thanks!
Max

hmm, were the guitars double tracked? I am not sure if I like the beginning where there is only one guitar to the right ( or left ). But the song is not uber mega heavy so dunno. But personally I would put 2 of the exact same guitar, which is the more rhtythm part, one left and one right always and treat the other guitar, which is more leady, as a lead.

And now I am re-listening to the beginning and no, it ain't my cup of tea. The first guitar should not be only to one side imho. I personally like to at least double track everything.

ps : Hey! Un Québécois! :p