Please Help with This Despicable bass tone

sounds like a di unprocessed to me. i normally end up taking massive amounts out of the low mids and also if those are old strings that could be the culprit. try separating the high and low end of the bass and adding some grit to the highend and compress the lowend like crazy. but most importantly you should find the flubby sounding frequencys and kill them :]

What I usually do is...before the bass parts are recorded, I have them pull back the bass knob on the bass guitar a little bit.to get a cleaner DI sound. Then I run the DI through a DI box into my Fireface. Then I run it through UAD Nigel. The settings/amps depend on the style of song/genre. Then I take it and duplicate the track. I'll EQ them so one would be used for bass, and the other for distortion and clank. Compress/limit the "bass only" bass track and add some harmonic distortion, and then blend with the "distortion and clank" bass track. Then buss those to a group channel. Then I usually insert Rbass/Maxxbass, compressor, EQ, EQ, then I limit. I usually come out with a great bass tone that's very punchy and unique. Hopefully this helped man!

What I usually do is...before the bass parts are recorded, I have them pull back the bass knob on the bass guitar a little bit.to get a cleaner DI sound. Then I run the DI through a DI box into my Fireface. Then I run it through UAD Nigel. The settings/amps depend on the style of song/genre. Then I take it and duplicate the track. I'll EQ them so one would be used for bass, and the other for distortion and clank. Compress/limit the "bass only" bass track and add some harmonic distortion, and then blend with the "distortion and clank" bass track. Then buss those to a group channel. Then I usually insert Rbass/Maxxbass, compressor, EQ, EQ, then I limit. I usually come out with a great bass tone that's very punchy and unique. Hopefully this helped man!

do you put Rbass on the low end track or the bass bus? also what frequency should you set RBAss at? the key of the song?

jesus i freaking love the tone! Has a lot of midrange bite to it and adds a lot of definition to the song. You could maybe cut a bit at 600hz. Also, the kicks have way too much attack (at least on my ear-buds) and could use more low end.
PS: If you want that typical metal bass tone, just create another track with the same bass recording, high pass it at 5-600 hz and add a distortion plugin (maybe even the one you used on the guitar if you wanna blend 'em). For the low end, search google for TesslaPro, it's an awesome transformer simulation and you can get some real girth with the bass knob.

thanks john, i kinda keep dissowning the 2 track method coz i feel that ther should be a way to get a great grindy bass tone in 1 track, maybe i should stick to using 2 for now though

more help please? and yes the strings were old but surely it shouldant osund this bad?

Old strings and bad playing can make any bass guitar sound like ass, new strings is always a must when recording professionally, but it's not a big deal for demos and such. If you want a good tone, put on new strings. Though I do like the mid-range in that track, it just needs processing.

I understand what people are saying about the mid range, but to me the tone just sounds rediculous, as if its trying to be for a different style of song or something, and im prety sure ther must be something major that im either not doing or just doing wrong for it to come out sounding this alien. can no one hear something that im blatantly doing wrong and correct me on it?