PLEASE TEAR this mix apart! Help me! 5150/Recto cab/SM57

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
I actually think this sounds really good. The guitars don't have that wow factor yet, but they're obviously well miced. Maybe scoop them a bit and add and subtract different parts of the high end. The drums sound a little machine gunny but the samples are pretty decent, although the beat doesn't help it sound natural.

Bass guitar on this track sounds really good to my ears though. Really sweet job on bass tone and mixing. Nice work.

Cheers,
George.

definitely make the cymbals more audible, snare is very uniform.

the mix is sounding a lot better than a lot of stuff ive heard.
your a step a head of me on the guitar tone though.
http://www.soundclick.com/toddgreenproduction (Belief In Bravery new test mix) if ya wanna take a listen. Im tryin to get mine a little thicker, your tone isnt bad at all though. could use some meat on the chugs though.

dont be so hard on yourself. unless your talking about actual material, and not the production. =

Your guitars are always amazing to me...great stuff!
Biggest problem are drums I think...what are you using for them?
Problem is they sound VERY programmed

hey,

i listened to the second version,
the guitar sound is really good IMHO, a lot of bite, love it!
the last few seconds...sound very mono, i guess it's not finished yet.

drums sound very robot like to me, maybe you could combine the (slate?)
with some other more natural sounding samples.

cheers
S.

Yea i guess my issue now is drums, which i honestly have no clue how to get them to sound better. Im gonna mess with the velocites over the next few days.

Thanks guys!

Yea i guess my issue now is drums, which i honestly have no clue how to get them to sound better. Im gonna mess with the velocites over the next few days.

Thanks guys!

i started a "programmed drums" thread some time ago,
which had some very useful information of how to get
programmed drums sound more realistic. helped me alot!

HERE IT IS

cheers
S.

How far from 100 should i take them? 95....90...80?

I usually like to have the kick at around 125, the samples are usually just better at around that range, and accent at 127. Softer hits at 100, but I usually just have it at flat 125 unless I want to have a softer section.

Snare also sounds really good to me for "on beats" at around 110, and for accents at 125, ghost notes anywhere from 40-100 depending on the part.

Toms I like to keep at 127 for accents, 110-100 for fills, and between 40-100 for other notes, depending of course on the part.

Reaper has a humanize function that randomly varies the timing and velocity.. I usually put that to 2% on both, and it works well enough for me.

i program almost all my drums now (even when recording a drummer, just keep his OHs). and I have never had someone come up to me and ask if i program drums, if anything they are surprised when i tell them.

I dont really have a set way of doing it. one thing i always do is keep kick velocities about the same at 125 for right foot, 100-115 left foot and kick+snare hits. everything else just gets tweaked until it sounds good and sounds real.

if you are recording a real drummer and then programming to what he played is actually the easiest, you adjust the velocities to about the same that he actually played.

and i never have a drum(any) at the same velocity in a row, thats just inhuman

hope i helped a little. and im sure everything i said plus alot more were covered in those threads about programming.