Pledge Your Local Beer

kleo706

Dec 21, 2001
As evidenced by the beer thread, David Gold likes beer. Problem is touring can easily turn into one big taunt. You go into this city with an award-winning microbrewery or even a beer festival and if the place/event is even still open, you have to load-in, check emails, etc. and just generally miss the brews. So your local beer fix has to come from the venue bar who is 99% likely to carry only That Which Has Very Low Initial Cost And Sells Massive Quantities.
So I have a proposal: people going to each show Woods plays can use this thread to pledge local brews to the band. You state which show, what you're bringing, then drop it off in exchange for sheer awesomeness of the morose face melting Woods will provide.

As an example, I heard David ask for "something local and dark" last night. So prior to May 6 I will come on here and post:

Show: May 6@ Ralph's Rock Diner in Worcester, MA
Beer: Blue Hills Brewery Black Hops Beer, Wormtown Brewery ProAm Porter

Wren will see that and go "Wormtown? Seriously? Pioneer Brewing Co's Dark Harvest beats the be-SATAN out of that" then post:
Beer: Pioneer Brewing Co. Dark Harvest, Long Trail Double Bag

I will respond with "Well, ahoy there fancy pants! Dark Harvest is sweet and tasty, and expensive but only available in 64oz growlers! Remember they drive a minivan and don't give them a full case of the Long Trail!"

BTW my suggestion is if you're out until 2:30 at the Woods show then forgo sleep and just use caffeine instead. The ideas are AWESOME!!!!.

Wren will see that and go "Wormtown? Seriously? Pioneer Brewing Co's Dark Harvest beats the be-SATAN out of that" then post:
Beer: Pioneer Brewing Co. Dark Harvest, Long Trail Double Bag

More like, Wren will see that and go "Wormtown? Seriously? Whiskey and Shirley Temples beat the be-Spock out of that" then post:
Beer: None because beer is nasty and whiskey is better.

I still haven't tried any of the Worcester beers, though...I really need to get around to that at some point. I really need to try to make it down to one of those tastings you're always telling me about, but I'm always too busy.

Well Ari Wormtown sometimes has a barrel aged version of that porter which picks up so much of it's flavor from teh woOd it's basically a lOw abv whiskey.
So far as trying the Worcester beers goes Wormtown is sadly paired with a family style restaurant and there's a bit of price gouging ($10 for four samples). I suggest a little roadtrip up the pike to Sturbridge or seeing if I'm Feeling generous.
@David sadly, your next tour brings you through Worcester about a week after stoutfest ends just up the road from Ralphs. Something in the neighborhood of 30 stouts will be on tap some of which you'd need to be dating brewer's families to get otherwise!