POD XT rack for DI signal!!??

chuck1703

MYSPACE.COM/BURNINGSKIES
Apr 8, 2006
Bristol
A band I'm working with are going to di the guitars there self, as I haven't got the time. They have a pod xt (in which I don't own my self) and we are unsure how to route/record a DI signal, with a separate channel for the distortion for monitoring purposes????
Anyone who uses one, could you give me a route and chain on how to achieve this?

Thanks

It has all the outputs you need on the back. There is an unprocessed DI out, and also a processed out. So you would monitor the processed, record the DI.

Yo dude, I'm the guitarist from the band Chuck's on about. I have read every manual and every guide there is on the net a hundred times but I can't get my head around it.

http://www.sonovente.com/Img2/zoom/line-6-bass-pod-xt-pro-effets-basse-p16161_2.jpg

This is a pic of the back of a bass pod xt but it's the same as a normal guitar one so maybe someone can explain exactly what I need to do from this. On the top left of the back there are "Analogue reamping input and outputs in the form of jack sockets. I think there's more to just plugging in too, I think there's some configuration that needs to be done on the POD itself to set it in the right mode.

Any help with this is much appreciated because we are stuck and gagging to crack on with this album!
Cheers!

99100953.jpg

Choose one of the marked RED outputs and plug it in your interface´s input. This will be the DI track that you´re sending to your DAW.
Then choose one of the marked GREEN outputs and plug it in what you´re going to use to monitor (an amp, speaker or whatever). You can also use the "phone" output on the front of the rack to monitor through a headphone.

If you´re going to use the PODxt as the interface via USB you can forget all this shit and just set the POD Farm to send "dry" signal on the "mixer" tab inside the standalone software.

AH, comeon, you´re being lazy or what? There´s a whole section on that manual explaining that:

Analog Re-amping
Just like you would for normal recording, connect your guitar to the Guitar In jack on
the front of the PODxt Pro. And connect PODxt Pro’s left and right Analog Outs to
your audio system to you can hear what’s coming out of them. Play a little guitar just to
make sure you’re hearing it. OK so far.
Now, connect the rear panel Unprocessed Guitar Out to an analog input of your
recording device, and route it to a record track. This is the signal you will be recording
so that it can be used for re-amping during mixdown.

Sorry, but RTFM.

Right, the good news is that I've managed to record just the dry signal while hearing distortion so that's all great. We're using my POD XT Pro going into a Toneport, then into a mac via USB. However, the Toneport "clip" light keeps flashing as the POD is obviously sending a really loud signal which is causing it to peak. I've turned every knob down all the way that I can think of but it's still recording a really dirty, peaking DI sound. I don't know how to get the volume down from the Pod's DI to the Toneport...

Don´t use the POD, use only the Toneport. Monitor through POD Farm software. On POD Farm, go to the "mixer" tab and set "Dry Input" on the dropdown menu for both channels. This will send only the dry signal to the DAW.

hey man, so you mean going straight from the guitar into the mic1 port on the toneport? ...So I wouldn't even need two cables going into the toneport then...I take it the POD Farm software allows you to play back a tone without actually recording it, even though you're only using one lead going into the toneport?

hey man, so you mean going straight from the guitar into the mic1 port on the toneport? ...So I wouldn't even need two cables going into the toneport then...I take it the POD Farm software allows you to play back a tone without actually recording it, even though you're only using one lead going into the toneport?

Yes. But instead of using Mic1 Input, use the Instrument Input (NORMAL if you have passive pickups and PAD if you have active ones).