POD XTL (pickup height)

Carcass29

3oIF
Sep 21, 2005
New York
just curious...alot of you guys record with the POD XTL and get great results tone wise...I was just wondering if most of you keep your pickup height as you would as if you were using a tube amplifier or are you going for the "close as possible to the strings" height when using the POD?

I've never had a problem even with an EMG 85 close up in the bridge position with the XTL. I usually run a tube screamer pedal in front of the XTL to give it that extra stage of gain, too. The XTL's noise gate / comp stage is really smart and will also help get you where you need to go.

EMG 85 close up in the bridge position with the XTL
That's exactly what I'm using and I also have an original ts-9 as well...so should I raise the pup for a better sound quality? right now it's about mid way. Thanks

That's exactly what I'm using and I also have an original ts-9 as well...so should I raise the pup for a better sound quality? right now it's about mid way. Thanks

I dig my EMG's basically as close as possible. They're low output pickups boosted by a preamp stage... not super high output pickups that'll respond badly to being close to the string.

There are two reasons to back the pickups off - either you're hitting them (in which case you should just learn to pick in less destructive ways) or the magnet is interfering with string vibration and the intonation and sustain go out. If neither of these problems are popping up, go for it.

Jeff

yeah, but EMG's have a weak magnetic pull anyway, so you can put them as close to the strings as possible without hitting them.