Point of 2 unison guitars live?

Devon8822

New Metal Member
Jan 15, 2007
So something like 90% of modern metal has two guitarists that playing in unison. This is great for the studio as panning one left and one right has the effect of double tracking. But what about live? Whats the point? Its going to be mono and havign two guitars might make a thicker sound but I would say that since they are in mono it would rather loosen/muddy up the guitars. Could the majority of bands get away with one guitarist? Am I missing a hidden advantage for having two guitars live when they both play the same thing?

Never worked a desk for a live show that wasn't stereo. And besides, the physical soundstage benefits from the spreaded amps.

the bands doing harmonies and counterpoint would be the other 10%. My question is in regards only too the material that has both guitars playing unison.

You worked on a stereo desk for a live show? Thats not common.

There's no way I could pull off being the lone guitarist. You gotta be Dimebag Darrell to pull that off. When the skill of your writing makes up for the lack of dimension and opportunities to give a song character by having two guitar players, then you can be the the only guitarist. IMO.

Edit : and its probably more like 10% of bands who both play the same thing and 90% who utilize both guitar players.

I always thought 2 guitars were just the norm for the stereo spread you get from them. My band used to have just one guitarist simply because we couldn't find anybody else to fill in. If you have two cabs on both sides or a backing track going through one of the cabs (like Volumes or something for example) then it should be fine.

If you only have 1 guitar you can use 2 mics.. it's not the same as 2 people playing separate instruments but 2 channels of guitar does sound "thicker" than just 1 channel. Even if you mix in mono.

Most desks are set up in stereo but most engineers choose to mix in mono, or if they mix in stereo the panning is slight as to not ruin the show for people than can't hear the other side of the PA system.

I love playing in 1 guitar bands (rock generally rather than metal) cos it often makes me nearly the best guitarist on stage and I like the freedom to chop about a bit on the fly. IMHO the most important thing to make a 1 guitar line-up sound full and complete is a damned good drummer. With 2 guitarists we'd usually play different inversions of similar parts or play unison parts in different positions or play a rhythmic part on one side and a slab chord on the other - very rarely the same thing on both sides.

I've never seen a mono mixer, as in a mixer that doesn't have stereo outputs, does that even exist? Now, of course most shows are mixed in mono or almost completely mono, but not because the mixing desk wasn't stereo.

To the OP, I've seen very (and I mean VERY) few bands that play with two guitarrists always doing exactly the same thing all the time, and even the few that do that at least have guitar solos with the other guitarist staying rhythmic. In fact, I've seen the opposite very often, bands with only one guitarist struggling to sound like the recordings cause they have several layers of guitars going on.