POLITCAL RAMBLINGS: French boycott

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
A lot of people won't like this thread, but too bad, I'm starting it anyway.

NewsMax.com is leading the Boycott France campaign because
American lives and security is at stake.

FACT: France has every right to disagree with America. But the French have moved from simple dissent to active hostility towards America.

FACT: French President Chirac warned East European nations that if they side with America, France will oppose their membership in the European Union.

FACT: This week, William Safire reported in the New York Times
that France has been secretly helping to arm Iraq -- and has been helping Iraq build long range missiles. These same missiles may soon be used against American soldiers.

OPINION: Just as France is exercising its right to disagree, Americans can exercise their right to boycott -- and avoid helping companies and countries that do not stand with America.

French Products and Companies to Boycott

The following companies are subject to boycott:
* Air France. Air Liquide. Airbus. Alcatel. Allegra (allergy medication). Aqualung (including: Spirotechnique, Technisub, US Divers, and SeaQuest). AXA Advisors

* Bank of the West (owned by BNP Paribas). Beneteau (boats). BF Goodrich (owned by Michelin). BIC (razors, pens and lighters). Biotherm (cosmetics). Black Bush. Bollinger (champagne).

* Car & Driver Magazine. Cartier. Chanel. Chivas Regal (scotch).
Christian Dior. Club Med (vacations). Culligan (owned by Vivendi).

* Dannon (yogurt and dairy foods). DKNY. Dom Perignon. Durand Crystal

* Elle Magazine. Essilor Optical Products. Evian.

* Fina gas stations and Fina Oil (billions invested in Iraqi oil fields). First Hawaiian Bank.

* George Magazine. Givenchy. Glenlivet (scotch).

* Hennessy. Houghton Mifflin (books). Jacobs Creek (owned by
Pernod Ricard since 1989). Jameson (whiskey). Jerry Springer (talk show)

* Krups (coffee and cappuccino makers).

* Lancome. Le Creuset (cookware). L'Oreal (health and beauty products). Louis Vuitton.

* Marie Claire. Martel Cognac. Maybelline. Méphisto (shoes and clothes). Michelin (tires and auto parts). Mikasa (crystal and glass). Moet (champagne). Motel 6. Motown Records. MP3.com. Mumms (champagne).

* Nissan (cars; majority owned by Renault). Nivea. Normany Butter.

* Parents Magazine. Peugeot (automobiles). Pierre Cardin. Playstation Magazine. ProScan (owned by Thomson Electronics, France). Publicis Group (including Saatchi & Saatchi Advertising).

* RCA (televisions and electronics; owned by Thomson Electronics). Red Magazine. Red Roof Inns (owned by Accor group in France). Renault (automobiles). Road & Track Magazine. Roquefort cheese (all Roquefort cheese is made in France). Rowenta (toasters, irons, coffee makers, etc.). Royal Canadian.

* Salomon (skis). Sierra Software and Computer Games. Smart & Final. Sofitel (hotels, owned by Accor). Sparkletts (water, owned by Danone). Spencer Gifts. Sundance Channel.

* Taylor Made (golf). Technicolor. T-Fal (kitchenware). Total gas stations.

* UbiSoft (computer games). Uniroyal. Universal Studios (music, movies and amusement parks; owned by Vivendi-Universal). USFilter.

* Veritas Group. Veuve Clicquot Champagne. Vittel. Vivendi.

* Wild Turkey (bourbon). Woman's Day Magazine.

* Yoplait (The French company Sodiaal owns a 50 percent stake). Yves Saint Laurent.

* Zodiac Inflatable Boats.

And that's the full list I have. Feel free to do what you will with it. I'm simply spreading some information.

Childish... the global community has turned into an elementary school playground. I love "FRENCH" fries, french bread, and I'll be damned if I give up my wine....

I'm going to exclusively buy French products. :saint:

Fact: America helped arm Ossama Bin Laden.

And I would act fucking hostile too if I had to deal with Bush.

Fries, bread, etc. are not actually French products, regardless of what name precedes the type of food.

There are plenty of high-quality wines made right here in the USA, or in other countries.

Yes, the United States helped arm and train Osama bin Laden. That was more than 25 years ago, and was directly related to a much larger global threat at the time: Communist U.S.S.R.

I wish we weren't on opposite sides of this Papa, but I respect your feelings and thoughts nonetheless.

markgugs said:
Fries, bread, etc. are not actually French products, regardless of what name precedes the type of food.

There are plenty of high-quality wines made right here in the USA, or in other countries.

Yes, the United States helped arm and train Osama bin Laden. That was more than 25 years ago, and was directly related to a much larger global threat at the time: Communist U.S.S.R.

I wish we weren't on opposite sides of this Papa, but I respect your feelings and thoughts nonetheless.

I am glad we are on opposite sides, because I wouldn't want to be on yours... :D and to be honest, I don't give too shits about where my wine or cheese comes from, as long as it tastes good. Considering my government brings in the drugs that they're supposedly raging a war against, I don't really care. Who are they to say what's right or wrong?

FACT: Bin Laden turned on us because we abandoned their country once the Soviets were no longer a threat. Just another case of our governement using people to get what they want.

And I was joking about the bread and fries, but apparently some aren't (i.e. Freedom Fries.. c'mon!!)

I could never boycott Hennessey or Car & Driver!!! :D

My favorite wine comes from California so I don't need to worry about that.

I was listening to KFI yesterday (a more-right-than-left AM radio station from Los Angeles), and one of the hosts from the John and Ken show said that most Western countries choose someone from the MIddle East to ally with. Right now, the U.S. allies itself with Saudi Arabia (which in many ways--human rights, religious freedom, etc.--is as bad as Iraq), the same way that France allies itself with Iraq. So I understand why they wouldn't want one of their major trading partners bombed into oblivion. The same goes for Russia, they don't really want their lucrative oil deal with Saddam to go completely down the shitter. It would be the same for the U.S. if someone wanted to bomb Mexico, that is a major trading partner of ours and we wouldn't stand for it. I wouldn't want that either, Mexico is a 3-hour drive from me! :zombie:

It is too bad that France is completely anti-US right now, but regardless of previous international behavior between France and the U.S., there really isn't any love lost between the two. I've been making white flag jokes about France for years, screw them, we don't need them as an ally.

However, I do respect France for standing up to the U.S., whether or not it be for justifiable reasons.

The freedom fries and freedom toast stuff cracks me up, how lame and completely meaningless is that?

NAD said:
Right now, the U.S. allies itself with Saudi Arabia (which in many ways--human rights, religious freedom, etc.--is as bad as Iraq), the same way that France allies itself with Iraq.

Yeah, how fucked up is that considering 19 of the 20 hijackers for 9/11 were from Saudi Arabia? Again, we sleep with our enemy. But place the blame on Iraq because they're against Israel... the politics of this region the US should never have gotten into.

Papa Josh said:
Yeah, how fucked up is that considering 19 of the 20 hijackers for 9/11 were from Saudi Arabia? Again, we sleep with our enemy. But place the blame on Iraq because they're against Israel... the politics of this region the US should never have gotten into.

Now this I'll have to check, but I'm fairly certain you're wrong.

At least 4 of the hijackers were traced to Egypt. And I'm positive that there were al-Qaeda member from Iran, Afghanistan, Syria and Jordan included in the group of 20 as well. I don't think even half of them were from Saudi Arabia.

markgugs said:
Now this I'll have to check, but I'm fairly certain you're wrong.

At least 4 of the hijackers were traced to Egypt. And I'm positive that there were al-Qaeda member from Iran, Afghanistan, Syria and Jordan included in the group of 20 as well. I don't think even half of them were from Saudi Arabia.

Even if I am wrong, which is possible, who the fuck cares? There's a money trail from their princess to Al-Qaeda. Why aren't they part of the "axis of evil?"

A majority of them were from Saudi Arabia, including Osama Bin LAden.
That's all the fucking reason I need.

Well, there's 2 reasons why they're not part of the "axis of evil."

First and foremost, and I'll be perfectly honest about this: Saudi Arabia is the United States most important geographic ally in the region, simply because we have bases there, we have the most amount of troops there, and that is the predominant location where many of our aircraft will take off from.

And secondly (and this is more a guess), but I'm assuming that because the Saudi government, and even bin Laden's family themselves, have denounced any ties to bin Laden, that Saudi is off "the list." That of course could change, but not right now.

and on an even light note:

Axis of Evil Wannabees
Attributed to John Cleese.

Bitter after being snubbed for membership in the "Axis of Evil," Libya, China and Syria today announced that they had formed the "Axis of Just as Evil," which they said would be more evil than that stupid Iran-Iraq-North Korea axis President Bush warned of in his State of the Union address.

Axis of Evil members, however, immediately dismissed the new Axis as having, for starters, a really dumb name. "Right. They are just as evil ... in their dreams!" declared North Korean leader Kim Jong-il. "Everybody knows we’re the best evils ... best at being evil ... we’re the best."

Diplomats from Syria denied that they were jealous over being excluded, though they conceded they did ask if they could join the Axis of Evil. "They told us it was full," said Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. "An axis can’t have more than three countries," explained Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein. "This is not my rule; it’s tradition. In World War II you had Germany, Italy and Japan in the evil Axis. So, you can only have three, and a secret handshake. Ours is wickedly cool."

International reaction to Bush’s Axis of Evil declaration was swift, as within minutes, France surrendered.

Elsewhere, peer-conscious nations rushed to gain triumvirate status in what has become a game of geopolitical chairs. Cuba, Sudan and Serbia announced that they had formed the "Axis of Somewhat Evil," forcing Somalia to join with Uganda and Myanmar in the "Axis of Occasionally Evil," while Bulgaria, Indonesia and Russia established the "Axis of Not So Much Evil Really as Just Generally Disagreeable."

With the criteria suddenly expanded and all the desirable clubs filling up, Sierra Leone, El Salvador and Rwanda applied to be called the "Axis of Countries That Aren’t the Worst but Certainly Won’t Be Asked to Host the Olympics."

Canada, Mexico and Australia formed the "Axis of Nations That Are Actually Quite Nice but Secretly Have Some Nasty Thoughts About America," while Scotland, New Zealand and Spain established the "Axis of Countries That Want Sheep to Wear Lipstick." "That’s not a threat, really, just something we like to do," said Scottish Executive First Minister Jack McConnell.

While wondering if the other nations of the world weren’t perhaps making fun of him, a cautious Bush granted approval for most axes, though he rejected the establishment of the "Axis of Countries Whose Names End in ‘Guay,’ " accusing one of its members of filing a false application. Officials from Paraguay, Uruguay and Chadguay denied the charges.

Israel, meanwhile, insisted it didn’t want to join any Axis, but privately world leaders said that’s only because no one asked them.

There are not enough laughing smilies for lizard's post, that was hilarious. Chadguay!??!?

Dreamlord said:
As far as I know, I don't own any of those French products. I guess the French are useless after all.

You got that right.

Though I'm going to miss Playstation Magazine, DKNY products, our Krups coffee-maker, my extensive collection of BIC lighters, and MP3.com.