Politics of Ecstacy

silverwulf

Ghost in the Machine
Mar 6, 2002
Manassas, VA
Visit site
I listened to this album for the first time in a while, and damn...I had forgotten how great it sounds. The mix is killer, and the Mesa Mark IV on there sounds absolutely crushing. The guitar sound on that album is probably one of my favorite guitar sounds on record.

The drum sound is also fantastic. I'm curious as to whether there was any sound replacement going on there with samples and such?

Anyway...great job Neil...great sounding album that still sounds as fresh on the production today as it did back then.

After listening to the album non-stop for the last few days, I love how clearly the guitar and bass blend together to create that large wall of sound. It's got to be one of the heavier sounds I've herad on record, and I love the fact that the guitars are very articulate and up front.

Neil, I'm curious to know if there's any EQ'ing you do as a standard to get that type of guitar sound? I know some guys like to zone in on particular frequencies, like cutting the guitar signal slightly around the 125hz - 200 hz range to free up room for the bass in the mix. Is there any standard you use as a starting point when mixing (such as EQ'ing out frequencies, panning guitars a certain way, etc) to try and get that large wall of sound?

Thanks for the kind words! Sheesh..this is nearly 10 years old now - let me see what I can remember.

As far as sound replacement per se, I did use a bass drum and snare sample for reinforcement I think. Regarding gtr EQ etc. I never have any rules. Most players make different sounds with their hands, plus they usually use different amps, so I go with it and tailor the sound per project. Some sounds take a while longer to dial in depending on the gear used, others fall into place quickly.

As far as guitar panning etc. once again I decide how that will be as the mix is starting, and usually discuss the possibilities with the band to make sure the performers are where they want to be in the stereo picture etc. That often contributes a lot to the final mix panning etc.

Hope this helps..

Neil K.

Oh man Neil when that Akercocke cd comes out, I'm gonna be GRILLING you soooo bad! I'm practically drooling on my keyboard, damn you!